Givony drops first 2021 Mock Draft

Haha I didn’t say good 3 and D players are a dime a dozen. But it seems like in every draft, there are a long list of players that hypothetically fit that mold. There were about 6-7 guys that I was going to be happy with the Pistons drafting at #15 this year because there were so many of those wing players in the draft. Thus, teams hypothetically have the ability to target this type of player every year if they want to.

Stretch 4s that are athletic with the ability to shoot and put the ball on the floor are not available in every draft and there certainly isn’t a long list of players that fit that mold. I think if you pass on Todd, you don’t know when you’ll have the opportunity to draft the next player with his skill set.

6’10 guys that shoot mid range jumpers, think they’re more skilled than they are, and don’t play good D are a dime a dozen.

Not saying that’s what Todd is, but if he’s not a particularly good defender (I have no idea what his defense is like), he may not have one particular skill that stands out to NBA scouts. Just a guess on what Givony may be thinking. I would guess Todd would get drafted.

1 Like

I’ve only seen highlight videos so I realize that’s not a full picture, but I don’t think that’s what Todd is. I’m salivating at the possibility of getting a player with his skill set. And I also disagree with your premise that 6’10 guys that are skilled and can shoot mid range jumpers are a dime a dozen. Other than Jalen Smith, who fit that mold in the Big Ten last year? And Smith is a pro. The year before JJJ fit that mold and he’s a pro. I actually think it’s very difficult to come up with guys who fit that mold. They certainly don’t roll off my tongue like wing players that can shoot and play D.

You guys are really confusing me with the back and forth Stauskas avatars :wink:

I think @kturnup hit the nail on the head as far as the “knock” or negative interpretation of Todd’s game right now.

I don’t love the JJJ comparison because he was younger, a better rim protector and never really attempted mid-range jumpers. He sort of grew into the 3-point shot but never tried to be a “creator” from what I saw. You could also say that Todd is probably way ahead of JJJ in terms of handle and some other elements.

4 Likes

JJJ is a completely different animal.

Dime a dozen is probably not the right word, but he’s potentially not the kind of guy that contributes very well to a winning NBA team (good scorer, not great passer, not great defender). Usually those guys get over-drafted though (see Hachimura for example).

Anyway, I haven’t seen enough to make the judgment on Todd, but I know that’s the type of thought process that someone like Givony has when he analyzes players.

College Scouting Services: OMG elite tools.
NBA Scouting: How will this guy help my team win?

They both play important roles, but they evaluate differently IMO. Part of why I’m guessing that the NBA really likes being able to evaluate players for a year in college.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m not really comparing Todd’s game to JJJ. I assume Todd isn’t nearly the defender that JJJ is. So I agree they are different players, especially at this stage of development. I’m moreso just talking about the general category of tall, athletic, skilled players, which is a small pool of players.

Vonleh is more accurate than Hayes. I wouldn’t really consider Hayes a perimeter big and he’s shorter and less athletic than Todd. I also think Todd is more skilled than Vonleh, but it’s in the ballpark of comparisons. Most people compare Todd’s game to Chris Bosh. Juwan compared him to Anthony Davis (hello recruiting). From the limited highlights I’ve seen, he even looks like an extremely poor man’s KD. Not quite the same level of shooter or ball handler (hence extremely poor man), but has the same look.

1 Like

Yes exactly – those players are suddenly really hard to find. And maybe a 6-10 two-way player who scores from three levels and gets dimes too is much more valuable, but even still you need 2/3 solid 3&D players to go with your one Todd type.

1 Like

The first 3 are 3-and-no-D. :slight_smile:

Well it’s also pretty easy to go the no-3-and-D route and convince yourself you are getting both. That strategy made Stanley Johnson a lottery pick.

Going back a few years, he reminds of Brandon Ashley for Arizona - who was a five star recruit and very good player, just wasn’t real aggressive and didn’t stick in the league.

I’m not super surprised to see he’s a high variance NBA prospect. Depending on how his skills develop he could be an ultra switchable 3rd option who can also provide spacing…or a guy who thinks he’s a first option with bad D instincts.

Was hoping his FT% was higher. Would really raise his floor. Will definitely be interesting to see how well his coaches can shape his game.

1 Like