George Mason grad transfer Justin Kier lists Michigan in top seven

No way would Dickinson be POY in the A10. The A10 isn’t a power conference but it’s the next closest thing. There’s a lot of really good players in that conference.

7 Likes

You haven’t been to the games I guess. Marcus Camby and Lamar Odom graduated quite a while ago. Like I said, it ain’t the Colonial. And maybe POY is a bit of a stretch. But A10 is a LONG way from B10 and Hunter would be top rated recruit in several years to go there.

You know Dayton is in the A-10, right? It’s obviously not the Big 10, but it’s still a cut above your typical mid major conference.

6 Likes

Yeah, the A-10 produced the National Player of the Year this season.

5 Likes

Over the last 4-5 years, safe to say the A-10 is the #8 conference, consistent multi-bid conference … B1G, ACC, B12, SEC, PAC, BEast, American are the top 7.

Still an up-transfer to the B1G. But less of an up-transfer than the Ivy or the MAC. So, between Kier and Smith, higher probability of Kier having a smoother transition to B1G play than Smith.

3 Likes

The A-10 was definitely not far behind Pac-12 level competition this year lol

1 Like

Though it was improved this season, the Pac-12 couldn’t even rightly be called a power conference the one before.

‘Conference of Champions’ should be banned from use for false advertising.

2 Likes

The PAC-12 is a poor conference for basketball. No way they are better than the Big East. Three quarters of their teams are no better than average MAC teams.

1 Like

The pac 12 was actually solid for the first time in a long time this year. Big east definitely better.

1 Like

I’d post the KenPom conference rankings but I let my subscription lapse and I couldn’t find something similar on Torvik’s site. Anyone with a KP sub want to copy/paste those rankings?

Heh, I knew I quit looking too quickly. Thanks!

If we can add kier as well with Smith and he is healthy we might have a surprisingly good back court. I don’t think it would really be a weakness at that point.

All three main rotation pieces would be able to create shots from themselves.

Sprinkle in Cole off the bench with his shooting and Zeb possibly here and there and we might just have a nice rotation. D could be a concern outside of Eli obviously (unless its kiers strength too? Didn’t see many d highlights on his film), but on offense we could really surprise the big ten with that group.

1 Like

I would fear that the world is coming to an end if ole Sly ever comes on here and offers a take less than we are a top 15 team and a darkhorse to cut down the nets.

1 Like

His optimism definitely balances out a lot of undue pessimism.

I will say that in 2017, when we were playing some terrible ball and had fallen to 4-6 in conference, he was the one guy who kept saying he thought the team was really close to turning it around and having a great year. Sure didn’t seem like it at the time.

7 Likes

Only bc Hunter wasn’t there!

Kidding … I do think there is a huge leap. This is colored by my experiences w/ George Washington basketball (I have been to a handful of games in last three years; they aren’t a great A10 school but have had some Top 3 years) and DeMatha, where my son went to school. I saw DeMatha play a number of times last year. I’m pretty sure DeMatha would stay in a 7 game series w/ GWU and they might beat them. Most of DeMatha’s lineup last year ended up signing w/ very solid programs (Miami, Michigan, Villanova); I think the “worst” starter now plays at Brown. I’m pretty confident HD would be an impact player in A10 in year 1.

Consider also Bones Hyland, who was a borderline top-150 kid. At VCU this year he averaged 10 ppg in 20 mpg and was on Freshman All League team.

Obviously, I forgot Dayton was A10. Obi is really good. But a player like that comes 2 times a decade (or less) in A10.

Anyway, excited for Kier, hope he commits, great roster fit, but he will need to adjust to the physical talent he encounters in Big 10.

Huh - so number 9 but the major difference between them and #8 is just Gonzaga being #1. Outside of the top 3, the WCC is awful.

Apparently he’s down to a final three, no Michigan, but the Big Ten is represented with Minnesota there.

Probably wanted more than “you compete for 10-15 minutes a game with a couple returners and a freshman”