Game 8: Michigan vs. Kentucky Preview

3 Likes

I’ve got a good feeling about this one. Don’t ask me why, because feelings are not about careful thinking. That’s why they’re called feelings.

11 Likes

The fact that it’s in London does add some uncertainty to me. If only one team really treats it like a business trip, it will definitely show.

Dylan: it’s great to see the shot charts back! Wondering if you could precisely define the four elements featured on the chart (expected pt/shot, points above expected, etc.) for me? I need my annual refresher to make sure I’m reading it all correctly. Thanks!

2 Likes

Is anyone going to be there? I see tickets are going for as low as $12

1 Like

England’s round of 16 World Cup game overlaps with it. So… I’m guessing not.

5 Likes

I assume the Maine vs Marist game will be packed to the London rafters!

4 Likes

the Wildcats love to bring a late double on post-up attempts

I feel like Hunter struggles with this type of defense, where he will try and wait for the double, think it’s not coming, then get in trouble when he puts the ball on the floor. I’m thinking he needs to go into his move right away and not hem and haw waiting for the double to come. I’ve seen him get sped up in these situations too, where he forces a quick shot, so it’ll be about striking a good balance of going quick but under control. Once he gets a better feel for when the double is coming, he can bait it by going into his move and then passing out as the double comes in. Easier said than done of course.

1 Like

Hunter vs. Oscar is must see TV for me, much like Kofi last year. I actually think if Hunter’s locked in defensively and stays straight up, things are going to be more difficult for Oscar than usual. (if HD leaves his feet for Oscar jumpers, he’s failed his job lol).

I’m also all for letting JL just letting it fly all game if they give it to him. Direct him: “If Wheeler goes under, shoot.” Even if he makes 3-10, its a step in the right direction for him :man_shrugging:

Finally, I’m going to watch Jett very closely in this game. His defensive assignment is theoretically easy…DO NOT lose your man, and contest every shot. They’re still going to make some, but make them earn it.

6 Likes

My “buddy” Ben Crenshaw had “a feeling,” too. I hope your feeling about this is as good as his was at the 1999 Ryder Cup! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Getting a sellout crowd in London for a college basketball game always struck me as a tenuous proposal, but during the World Cup….impossible. Now during an England World Cup match? Lol

1 Like

Games on battleships, in other countries. . . do not move the meter much for me. I guess I like the Maui Classic? The way the UM draws crowds in Madison Square Garden? How does something like this translate into profits, or help build the game?

2 Likes

Correct. Maine is from New England.

3 Likes

Sad. My enthusiasm is dampened, but a few months ago I was hoping I could sqeeze in a quick London stopover on a work trip and make this happen. Would have been so cool, and I guess still would for the most part.

1 Like

And Marist is from New York - there’s sure to be a lot of North-South tension in the crowd.

2 Likes

Will The North remember?

2 Likes

Do we know why they decided to send both teams to London towards the end of the semester to play a game 2 years late? I know it was a COVID rescheduled thing, but there was a video of the guys there on M’s twitter talking about it and they seemed miserable. I’m normally not that guy, but it seems completely unnecessary to fly 7 hours both ways against a team that’s a 5 hour drive (1 hour flight?) from AA.

Fly home today or tomorrow, maybe get a day or two of practice before flying to Minnesota. Student athletes indeed. Woof.

2 Likes

I assume it is $$$$$ and TV contracts. As is the answer to every college sports question. Such as, why would 16+ team conferences matter? Why would anyone date consider expanding the tournament?

1 Like

Going up against the 1:00 NFL slate and the England elimination game in the World Cup (and my fantasy elimination potential game so need to have redzone up too), couldn’t of picked a worse two hour time slot in the entire year honestly. Two 5-2 teams both on the struggle bus traveling internationally to play in a country where the locals are going to be watching their version of a Super Bowl/Olympics.

If it’s about $ and TV contracts, they royally messed that up. Would probably get a better ratings hit on a Monday afternoon than this. This is like a tiny blip on the sports world radar today.

1 Like

I’m not even sold on the concept of college basketball appealing to the British sport consumer. This whole thing seems wasteful.

And I think any sensible person would have assumed that we’d be up against a WC match, even if it wasn’t clear it was England - and thst would be of significantly more interest.

Not to mention NFL at home. I know I’ll be watching the World Cup with the Lions game on my tablet on mute. Not sure what anybody was thinking.