Game 6: Jackson State at Michigan Open Thread

Double digits

2 Likes

We could probably dial back the doom and gloom just a touch. Itā€™s still game 6 and doesnā€™t look good, but not ready to write off the entire year.

5 Likes

O/U 7 B1G wins. Hit me

It takes a while when half your roster is new. These guys have got to learn how to play with each other. Theyā€™ll take their lumps. Weā€™ll see how this ends up. They could certainly improve as the season goes on and Iā€™ll be looking for that.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not heading up at all right now but I think we need to be patient. Certainly making a sweet 16 and elite 8 his first 2 years a tournament was held buys him some time.

Remember Beilein had a lag after the F4/E8 teams and there were people suggesting that he be fired (a minority for sure but they were out there). I get that Beilein had a long resume of success and Juwan doesnā€™t but you get the point. This in my mind was always going to be a rougher year. He needed to figure some stuff out and I think he will

2 Likes

At this point (and there is a lot of basketball yet to be played; I felt like this a little bit last year about this time) I see two road wins with one being in the ā€œmiracleā€ category. Maybe five wins at home? I say this because almost everybody else in the league seem much more sound and almost everything about their games seem on a different level than what Michigan is performing now.

6 games isnā€™t a small number of gamesā€¦Before this game, Torvik minus preseason projections has this as the 120th best team and this result will probably drop it even more. Barring a miracle, theyā€™re about to lose their 3 remaining resume games in the non conā€¦ they are going to be far out of the tournament picture resume wise and need to improve from a baseline of sub-100 team

Itā€™s impossible to be too alarmist, IMO

Beilein had a 1st team All American get knocked out for the season in the non-con in both of those yearsā€¦ not really comparable

Under easily

1 Like

I love Caris but that team around him was not great the one year they missed the tourney despite the fact that they had several players who would later play Nova in the Natty. There was definitely a lull in my mind regardless of whether he played.

I remember going on mgoblog and insisting that Beilein was a HOF coach that year, getting laughed out of the place.

1 Like

Under ā€¦ thinking 5

My hot coaching take is I want Martelli gone. Heā€™s a bad coach and his teams did nothing good kinda like this and heā€™s old and heā€™s used his worth

1 Like

We can say it is just six games and all the players are newā€¦but this team had the Euro trip too. Illinois has all new players and looks fine. OSU has all new players and looks fine. Purdue lost a bunch and seems fine.

This is the most bummed out I have been after a win in a long time. This reminds me of an Amaker team. Enough talent to make you think thereā€™s potential, but generally sloppy, disorganized and inefficient. I also think it might be like those teams also where we spend all year just outside the bubble but never making it in.

Sighā€¦I donā€™t know where things went wrong. Can you build a tournament team out of Hunter, Jett, and spare parts?

1 Like

About three weeks ago I think we collectively thought we could. The problem is that the spare parts donā€™t fit the way we thought they would. Looking back, there were some major assumptions that have not come to fruition yet (which have been discussed in at least 500 posts in the last 10 days).

1 Like

The problem is that outside of hunter and Jett when heā€™s hot we donā€™t have an average B1G player

2 Likes

The job Beilein had done at the point he missed the tournament and people lost their mind was much harder than what Howard has done to date.

Beilein took over a team that hadnā€™t been to the tournament in close to a generation and built them into a conference title winner by then.

Howard took a team with an all big ten point guard, a senior center, two NBA forwards and Eli brooks to a .500 B10 record in year one, brought three of those guys back to be the heart of a phenomenal year 2, and I think it would be fair to say disappointed last year.

Iā€™m not advocating for his termination or anything but those are two pretty different bodies of work.

4 Likes

Donā€™t buy it. The pieces fit archetype wise. They just arenā€™t playing well. I donā€™t think any of the ā€œassumptionsā€ are wrong. The players are just playing at many standard deviations below their ability/potential

1 Like

I will say you found the most pessimistic way to view year 1. Livers got hurt and they were awesome in non con so they were still a top 25 team and were gonna get like a 5-7 seed

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking we have one or two options to change things up

1 Start Willā€¦ TWill can help ground that second unit and Will brings rebounding help and shooting

2 change up guard starter. I dunno if itā€™s Dug and Kobe or JL and have Kobe help second unit to distribute talent among line shifts better. But feels like something gotta change

1 way more realistic than 2 without killing the team but got try stuff at this point

1 Like