Game 5: Ohio at Michigan Open Thread

Honestly it mostly comes down to guard play right now IMO. Jett and TWill are pretty much meeting off season expectations and Hunter is a stud. But our guards can’t shoot, are not running ball screens as well as we need, and aren’t defending.

Kobe has flashes but can’t shoot. JL is still struggling. Hard to be an Iowa style team when you aren’t getting anything from the back court.

6 Likes

Someone down my road last year was a Bills fan and I almost sent them a condolence gift after that playoff game, I felt so bad.

If there’s anything they can take away from that game, you have the last 4 minutes of regulation and all 5 of OT to show these guys that they can play actual defense when they put the effort in.

7 Likes

I started watching down 7 late and it was on my phone, so this is an uneducated take, but I’m reminded that most offenses get pretty stagnant when no one can shoot. Looked a lot like that.

2 Likes

A win is a win.

2 Likes

I know he has a real job but could Beilein please - pretty please - zip down for an afternoon and teach some of these guys to shoot? If I won a shooting lesson with John Beilein at a raffle, I would donate it to the team. And I would kill to get a personal lesson from Coach B.

3 Likes

Michigan allowed 5 points the final 9:13 of game time. For as bad as it was, that’s something to build on if you are into that sort of thing.

15 Likes

Um, higher

1 Like

This team is… not very good. That can obviously change and there is a lot of room to grow, but….yeesh.

1 Like

Can confirm, I am into my basketball teams playing good defense

It reminded me of last year at times – only play hard when it’s absolutely necessary and there’s no other way possible.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hunter looked fine. Rest of the team looked ill though.

4 Likes

5 in the final 9:13 and 9 in the final 12:48 going back to the under 8 timeout where Ohio hit free throws coming out of the break. Really extended stretch of good d and a couple lucky misses. Also looked like better rebounding to me. There were a couple true offensive rebounds for Ohio (including the buzzer beater), but 2 or three in the box score that came off blocked shots and typically you are fine with. Michigan racked up 9 offensive boards in the same span.

4 Likes

JB had some teams (especially early on) that couldn’t shoot straight either.

Not looking forward to the game in EL. Hoping this group proves me wrong, but…

3 Likes

He also had teams that were pretty bad at FTs. Maybe not this bad but I remember fearing a couple of times that the season was gonna come down to critical FTs.

2 Likes

Lots of time to grow between now and January 7th. Or maybe we’ll be DOA by then.

1 Like

Is this 3 PGs in a row who you absolutely would not trust at the free throw line with the game on the line?

1 Like

What I found odd tonight was JL looked like he was turning a corner , then just went ghostdini on us