Game 5: Michigan vs. Providence Open Thread

I mean the 2016 class has been a 50% hit rate so far and the players who everyone thought would be good have been good and the players everyone thought would be bad have been bad.

2 Likes

There is definitely room for improvement but I have been happy with Brooks generally. I wish he would shoot when he is open from 3 but maybe he just lacking confidenceā€¦I feel like he should slow down a bit but he is playing good defense, shooting 45% FG, 41% 3FG, has 12 assists and only 5 turnovers. I would say the sophmore is showing signs of being pretty darn good. Only going to get better.

1 Like

Uhh yeah the 2016 class is nowhere near one of the best Beilein had. I suppose if you include Charles it looks a lot better, but heā€™s a transfer so I donā€™t see how you include him in that. 50% of the 2016 class are mid major players.

1 Like

Good ole Sly. Every player that suits up in a Michigan basketball uniform is an All American.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a little harsh. Heā€™s had a few ill-advised drives, but thatā€™s about it. His passing has been spot-on, heā€™s shooting 40% from 3, good defense. Donā€™t throw out the baby with the bath water.

3 Likes

I donā€™t understand this angst about Brooks. Last year the point guard position was in disarray until Simpson the sophomore figured it out. Brooks is a sophomore he looks ways more comfortable this year and I think will only get better. He is finding out more what he can and canā€™t do. But I see someone with good bball IQ.

5 Likes

He also saw his role diminish as the year went on last season, which cut into his playing time. He has looked like a decent bench option so far, I think.

1 Like

I include Charles because he came in the same offseason, but even with the other four itā€™s worked out.

People were overreacting on that class big time. Go back and read it. People liked z and saw potential in Teske but overall there was a very negative perception and people were talking about how heā€™s a weak recruiter

4 of the five or 3/4 depending on where you put Charles are currently in our top 8 rotation. Ibi didnā€™t work out. I think Davis will be a competent back up over the next two years with a potential to be a plus not a negative against other benches.

The bigger point imo along with the change in coaches and stress on defense, is he brought in players that could actually defend which was clearly something he recognized was a weakness in the program.

It helped create a shift from a team that suffered on d to the best current defense in the country. With the normal coach b recruits that wouldnā€™t be possible. I actually prefer this current make up. Sometimes on offenses shots arenā€™t falling or things are out of rythym. Defense is something you can bring night in night out.

That class including Mathews has created the best defense in the country. The three best defenders are all kids brought in that year. Iā€™d say that year has been more important to this teams success than any other.

I certainly donā€™t think itā€™s an average class. From the look of things early I think this team has a chance to get over the hump and win the big one. Hopefully we will find out.

1 Like

So I saw the first three games end to end and highlights of the last two so I could be wrongā€¦ but from what I have seen heā€™s exactly the type of guard they need off the bench. His strengths match up well with the teams weaknesses and he brings nice enegy, play making, and shooting off the bench.

He comes down out of control at times but I actually like that heā€™s looking to push the pace and create. We need shooting , shot creation and overall an injection of offense from the bench based off our starting 5s make up and strengths.

Thatā€™s exactly what he brings imo. Maybe Iā€™d change my mind if I watched the last two full games but even in the highlights when I see him out there thatā€™s what he appears to bring. Is he going to turn it over some? Sure, but I think what he does outweighs that and this roster is going to need him.

1 Like

Itā€™s weird how refs can affect the flow of the game and turn it to chaos quick