Game 5: Michigan vs. Providence Open Thread

I am thinking about this year, mostly, Liver’s playing a good share at 5 creates a few available minutes at John’s natural position. Get the Freshman John’s up to speed so that he can contribute at the end of this year. I don’t care what anyone says–4 is the most straightforward position we have.

1 Like

I will be incredibly shocked if Providence wins the Big East.

1 Like

South Carolina up 35-6 against GW with 9 left in the first half. South Carolina looks very impressive, they’re huge and hitting everything.

Providence is a very good team that is uber lanky and I thought would present tough match-up for our guards. Michigan came out and smoked them by 20 (give-or-take). This was hugely impressive to me.

I’m not worried at all about Johns. He still is just a freshman and hasn’t seen much of the court. He looked a bit more comfortable today (outside of getting his pocket picked) and looks the part on the court. He is going to be a year-long project that I hope we see pay off before this season ends, but would be happy to wait for next year as well.

2 Likes

Investment in the future. In February, no one will care if we won these two games by 20 or by 30, but the quality PT guys like Johns and DeJulius get is likely to pay off, if not this year, definitely next.

Who do you think will win and why? Marquette plays no defense, Xavier is almost completely a new team with a new staff, Nova is extremely young and doesn’t have any of their roles settled into yet, St. John’s has a Elite backcourt but what else? Georgetown is a yikes, DePaul is DePaul, Seton Hall doesn’t have a star and just had a bad loss I think. I don’t know a ton about Creighton. They are the only team I haven’t watched this year.

1 Like

My understanding is the plan was for Johns to be a 4, but his best chance to see the floor this year and to most help the team was at the 5.

2 Likes

Cooley has definitely upgraded recruiting and this team will develop as season progresses.

Can’t see their youth and shooting woes navigating 18 game Big East schedule favorably. They will struggle mightily on road.

Big East no juggernaut, but then again Friars haven’t lost less than 8 conference games in a season in last fifteen years.

Can’t say who’ll end up emerging, but I’d willingly take field over them.

Butler, maybe?

Forgot about Butler. That’s not a bad option. @chezaroo made some good points. I personally still think Providence’s talent and length and having a good coach like Cooley will benefit them. The Big East is way down compared to past years though. Whoever does emerge as the conference champion I don’t think will strike a lot of fear into other conference powerhouse teams.

1 Like

Marquette could be good.

Remind me of Chris Webber uncomfortably played center at Golden State and ended up demanding a trade. I think that Beilein is flexible enough to have Johns try different position and see where fits his talent the most. Given that Livers is comfortable playing multiple positions, Johns can be moved to play 4.

Chris Webber as a 5 in the modern NBA… man that would be awesome to see. He was made for that kind of role

They certainly have the offensive firepower. But they’ve played 1 quality team this year (Indiana) and got throttled because they can’t stop anything. One thing that could change things a little is that they are missing probably their toughest player currently in Greg Elliott, the former East English Village stud alongside Dejulius. He broke his hand in preseason. Will be out a few more weeks.

If you guys haven’t yet, this guy Victors Valiant Basketball posts full game highlights of each Michigan game as well as others. Also posted Iggy’s game highlights and Romeo Langford’s from today’s game vs. Arkansas. He’s a good person to subscribe to on YouTube if you miss a game or just want to see highlights. I don’t even know the person but I’m enjoying their content already. Their Twitter is ‪@VictorValiantYT ‬. They post links to all their recent game uploads on there as well.

2 Likes

I watch it.

I know but Indiana is good too

This Michigan team is very good. I knew Teske would develop as a shooter. All his misses last year were right there, just a little nerves.

I don’t see this program being down anytime soon. Good time to be a fan.

1 Like

Also Eli is good. Another guy I felt good about coming into this year. So glad he has found his way. He is a perfect guard off the bench for this roster. Damn coach b has this thing humming. He just understands how to build a roster.

Remember when everyone was upset about the the z, Teske, Davis , Ibi class? You could see he saw the need to bring in some defense and toughness. Add in Mathews and that looks like one of the best classes he’s ever had now. Certainly was a program changer.

Damn that guy is good. Best part is besides maybe ignas everybody but Charles will be back, I think iggy has one more in him too.

What a nightmare for opposing coaches.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say Brooks is playing well. He should do nothing but shoot at this point. His handle and decision making are a little suspect.