Game 3: Michigan at Villanova Open Thread

Can’t wait and Crysler better be packed.

2 Likes

I tried to be open minded. Johns at the 5 sounded like an ok idea for a minute. I am going back to my gut instinct. It won’t work.

1 Like

I had Michigan money line parlayed with the under and I’m having a wonderful night :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure how this team got so much better defensively so quickly. Teske > Moe, we knew that already. Iggy > Duncan? Didn’t see that coming.

Hail Ya!!!

2 Likes

At the HS level he was a point-forward for a while. I’d still like to see him get an opportunity in that role. Defensively he can play 5, I suppose. He can rebound and start the break. But on offense I don’t see a 5 whatsoever. Leave that to Livers, who one day will supplant Draymond Green when he loses the political battle with KD.

2 Likes

I think Z is one of the quickest guards in the country and Brooks is not that far behind him. What I love about Z is he knows how fast he is. He beats his man, gets into the lane, slows down, absorbs contact and then propels himself to the hoop. He is so fast getting to the rim clean is more of an issue with timing the slow down to receive contact and seperation.

1 Like

Yeah, I think Johns is talented enough to play 5 it is just going to take him too long to get up to speed so quickly…versatile kid for sure…Just better idea to let him play what comes naturally to him at first especially since Livers looks solid as small ball 5

He creates about 10 feet of separation with his jab dribble. If he could only shoot, we’d be a lock for a natty.

I think Johns is a 4 through and through, but JB (rightfully so) saw that there’s no opportunity for him at that position this year with Iggy and Livers as clear top 6 players on the roster and Matthews playing entire games at the 3. Thus, the concept of “just learn the 5”, really the only spot on the team that has any sort of flexibility off the bench right now

2 Likes

Livers seems so much more natural at the 5 though compared to Johns.

3 Likes
6 Likes

25th to 11th on Kenpom.

38 on offense, 3 on defense.

7 Likes

Beilein is a genius.

Agreed. I hope we see that small ball lineup with Livers for huge stretches every game. But even if Livers plays 20 minutes at Backup center, he still probably gets 10 at the Backup 4 behind Iggy getting 30. Next year I bet we see Johns blossom at some wing position

3 Likes

I am thinking Johns averaging 5-10 as a backup wing (3 or 4) is better than zero minutes at 5. I am going to go back and look but he looked horrified tonight playing 5. Then again, JB did put him in so maybe he has been showing something in practice…

1 Like

He only had one possession at the 5 though, right? Two max? Idk, I just want to reserve judgment here. I think it’s more an all around issue than a sign that he won’t be effective at the 5.

edit: although I missed some of it so my info might not be correct.

1 Like

You are probably the wiser person to take a wait and see approach. I will try to follow your lead there.

I just can’t help but be reminded of DJ Wilson (Who did indeed have successful moments as a center on that 2017 team).

1 Like

No, you are right. He barely played. He actually looked relieved when he came out quickly. Maybe I am projecting that though.

1 Like