Game 25: Michigan at Penn State Open Thread

Or Poole’s

Zavier Simpson isn’t the first PG to play like this against Penn State.

2 Likes

I was pissed after Trohl and Iowa. Not even mad tonight. You’re gonna get everyone’s best shot. Tough to bring it every night. Use this game to get better.

1 Like

It sucks to lose to a 1-11 team when we have a chance at first place outright in the league. Congrats Purdue!

Honestly, they should have beaten Purdue too, but for a truly awful missed call near the buzzer. PSU is not a bad team at home.

Fuck. Can’t win when your supposed best outside shooter (hero-ball shot selection notwithstanding) shits the bed. This game is the exemplar for Dylan’s preseason concerns about outside shooting. I wish Brooks would grow a pair and at least attempt 3 3’s. I could live with that at this point.

5 Likes

Z is just so much more effective when the O runs through him, as opposed to him trying to BE the O like in the 1st half. Imo, these guys feel like they have some wiggle room to experiment and play “outside the box” so to speak with their record, but imo that’s now done…do what works, stop screwing around and play your team game.

Gonna guess there isn’t another high major starting guard that put out a 50 ORating on high usage versus PSU this year.

X has been great, but the L is on him.

1 Like

This game started poorly. Michigan took way too long to wake up. Low energy at the beginning. Penn St was calculated with a soft press taking time off Michigan’s offensive sets in the half court. The officiating was really questionable. Simpson wasn’t totally himself. Iggy was AWOL. All together the game was an anomaly.

Our team can look really one dimensionally offensively at times. One positive is Matthews starting to come around on offense. Depending on match ups, would be great to see him play in isolation more often, but he has to go strong to the hoop without hesitation.

Gonna be a challenge to win the conference, but these guys are capable. Gonna have to lock in from here on out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that press the rest of the season.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really think he figured the team has some wiggle room to try some different things, and maybe John gave him the green light to be a little more loosey goosey…but thats done now. No more screwing around. Hone the game/strat that works, Z needs to be the maestro.

The loss is not on one person. That’s silly. X was poor but so was Teske and Poole showed terrible judgment at times. Iggy committed dumb fouls and basically was a total non factor. Matthews played outstanding. Livers was good. They outplayed us from the opening tip. We made some good runs but they were the better team today.

3 Likes

I agree with all this on a meta scale, but Z sets the tone and tempo, he was not playing his usual game the 1st half, and that can easily throw the whole team off. Idk, it’s not ALL his fault, but if he has a bad game, there’s a good chance the whole team will.

Expect the press to kill clock and expect switching and expect packing the paint unless Michigan shoots the ball and forces the defense to extend out.

1 Like

Duke only down 5 with 4 to ply unfortunately they should be fine god this was a frustrating game from start to finish…idk if I should feel more concerned or should just write it off and move on…no point in saying what we could have had with the win but we have to grow from this on Saturday with another early start. Every top 10 team this year has had a bad loss or two with the exception of maybe Virginia and Duke (yet to be seen what happens tonight) and overall if this moves us out of Dukes bracket as a 2 seed I’m ok with that but I can taste that big 10 championship now and would love to see us pull it off

Coach is still twitching.

Beilein is being a gentleman in the press conference.

4 Likes

Need to see this team come out strong offensively the next cpl games…there have been too many games as of late where the O starts out flat, that needs to get corrected.

1 Like

Class act is a major understatement. You would think an official would give the benefit of several doubts before tossing him. You would think.

4 Likes

You can see him using one part of his brain crafting a response to the league and one half maintaining composure haha

2 Likes