Game 24: Michigan at Northwestern Recap

Not that they’re not winnable games but I kind of like those teams you just listed. Fsu, WVU, and Auburn in particular. I think Michigan could certainly beat them but those are three of the teams I actually think are decent out there this year.Theres more fraudulent teams out there imo.

Auburn is the most fraudulent team out there this year imo. They’ve won 4 OT games in their last 5! That inlcudes @ Ole Miss who is barely above NW or Nebraska. And home against Bama and LSU.

If we go to OT with Auburn we’re screwed though

Okoro is really good though

1 Like

Simpson had a quiet game, but did he do much wrong?

5 Likes

I thought he was a little bit sloppy and I thought he made some slip ups on d if I recall but I’d have to watch the replays to make sure it was really his fault on the plays I’m thinking of. That step back was clutch though and quelled the run further.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that would like to see video of Teske and Davis fighting its out in the low post in practices?

I wonder how often a 6 seed is favored over a 3? If they did play Auburn, more likely than not that’s what would happen.

Maybe that’s not as rare as I envision it to be.

2 Likes

I thought he was undisciplined defensively in the first half, and he made a few high risk pass decisions that ended poorly over the course of the game. I wouldn’t say X played poorly, but he also wasn’t close to his best.

My comment was supposed to be a positive one as in our star didn’t do much and we still won by 25 on the road. Who would have thought (at least not me)! But don’t forget, I couldn’t even read schedule right this morning! :wink:

I guess my point on X is that he only took 3 shots and had 5 assists. I thought he moved the ball really well out of PNRs and found shooters well. If he doesn’t get in foul trouble, this is sort of the prototypical 3 FGA and 12 assist game that everyone wants to see from Simpson.

1 Like

That’s fair!

1 Like

Did you read it central time? I swear I saw it as a 7 pm EST tip last week and made plans accordingly.

love the way Davis is playing. Reminds me of Chris Kaman with his ability to finish, and footwork.

1 Like

Teske’s post numbers may say he’s not as bad as he has been these past few games, but until he gets things fixed, they aren’t going to return to earlier in the season. For whatever reason, he can’t or won’t get going toward the basket and now almost exclusively settles for an awkward off-balance hook. The difference between him and Davis at this point in the post is stark. Davis is using drop steps and multiple pivots to work toward the basket while Teske is using the dribble to get further away. At this point I think Teske would be better served to face up in the high post.

Unless Teske passes out of the post, it really does feel like its going to be an empty possession.

1 Like

I like where the team is at. I feel like if Teske and Wagner trend upwards on FG% coupled with the squad’s improvement on team defense (they’re getting really sticky on D!) they could be poised for an exciting few weeks

2 Likes

Yep, all true. The foul trouble is a big “if”.

Agreed. I haven’t gone back and watched the games, but it feels like he’s regressed in the post since early season. He’s never had the moves that Davis has, but his balance seems way off lately. Purely speculation, but I won’t be surprised if we find out he was dealing with a physical/health issue as the season wore on.

It was a ridiculous question just a few games ago, but I think it’s legitimate to wonder if Davis should be starting moving forward.

1 Like

I still don’t think it’s a legitimate question because Teske is better than Davis at every other thing on a basketball court besides post scoring. Having said that, Teske has to get back to finishing better off of rolls and OREBs. He’s certainly capable, he did it for 2 years

6 Likes

As you referenced in the recap, he made plenty of passes even with the foul trouble that could have resulted in assists. He set up Livers and Eli nicely in their spots a few times and shots didn’t fall, not to mention he probably could have garnered a few assists during the 0-11 start. X played like X!

1 Like

I agree. I thought Teske was super engaged defensively last night; constantly communicating and in the right spots. It is so frustrating to witness his inability to finish around the basket, but it’s great to see that it doesn’t impact his play at the other end of the court.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Davis get a few more minutes but I still think that Teske is a net gain between offensive and defensive. I’m not sure that you can say that about Davis, especially with additional minutes.

I also don’t think Teske has struggled to finish glaringly on rolls recently. That actually seems to be the only part of his offensive game that has stayed consistent.