Game 20: Michigan at Nebraska Recap

He has played in 7 games. I don’t think he can get a redshirt

2 Likes

In the player bullets you mentioned Teske wasn’t credited with a block, which I thought was crazy from the stat keepers. I see ESPN has him with 2 in the box score. Did they adjust it after the fact, as he clearly had a couple?

I must have misread it or it was adjusted because he had 2 steals and 2 blocks. I’ll edit that.

No worries, his presence was felt down there with the shot altering which we haven’t seen in a while (at least effectively). That’s always been his forte, more than actual blocks

I know Beilein in the past talked about special shooting machines that they used to measure arc and things like that - do you know if the program still utilizes things like that regularly?

Those were Noah machines that are installed at the PDC. Not sure to what extent they are currently used but they are becoming pretty common across basketball.

https://www.noahbasketball.com/

1 Like

Bajema’s eligibility to get a redshirt has joined Jace Howard’s eligibility to become a walk-on as this season’s biggest fan hopes stated as certainty. Dylan may have to get a rules and compliance expert on the payroll. :grinning:

12 Likes
22 Likes

Nice tweet! I love our guys.

5 Likes

I know Beilein preached shooting and spent a lot of time on it, but has there ever been any research into shooting development under Beilein vs some other coaches? I know this would be hard to quantify but guys like Simpson and Matthews didn’t become any better shooters under Beilein. I know there are many who have shown improvement but how much of that is just natural development. Eli brooks has become a better/more consistent shooter this year than he ever was the past two years. Livers before the injury made a significant jump. So how much of it is natural improvement vs something Beilein did? I’m not saying he didn’t develop guys but I don’t think our development has been stunted in any way by the current staff. I’d argue a reason why Beilein has been praised for his work with guys shooting is that he embraced the 3 point shot before many other coaches and recruited guys who could shoot (ie Nik Stauskas and Duncan Robinson). When you create lineups where 4 or 5 guys are good shooters you are consistently going to lead the conference and nation in shooting. But the past couple years showed a shift toward better athletes (defense) and worse shooting and beilein didn’t noticeably fix that as can be seen by our FT and 3 point shooting the past couple of years.

I think this is kind of it… Beilein consistently coached teams that led college basketball in 3-point volume and accuracy.

Whether that development falls on coaching, players, evaluation, recruiting, whatever. Beilein consistently had teams that shot the ball better and more often from 3-point range.

What we do know is that Beilein prioritized shooting in everything that he did. Recruiting, practices… everything.

I’m not sure if some of your examples really hold up either. Like I wouldn’t say Livers made a significant jump shooting wise. Not that he hasn’t improved and everything else, but he was a 43% shooter last year. 43% shooters go through 60 FGA stretches where they shoot 50%.

Wherever you place the credit blame, over the next few years I do think you’ll see a bit of a shift toward things that Howard might emphasize more than shooting.

1 Like

I agree with that, Beilein placed a massive emphasis on shooting for most of his tenure in all phases. I guess I just think that leading college basketball in shooting the way Beilein teams did for years was more of a result of who he recruited than some sort of in season coaching adjustment. I realize there could be a statistical anomaly but the past two years were significant drop offs in shooting under Beilein and I highly doubt he changed his coaching style. Instead the drop off was due to the types of players he recruited and played. He never ‘fixed’ Simpson or Matthews shot, and Duncan Robinson became a worse 3 point shooter statistically at Michigan before he went to the NBA and improved his numbers.

I guess my point is any narrative on Beilein being a better ‘in season’ shooting coach than our current staff or any other staff just doesn’t add up based on what we’ve seen the past couple of years. Instead I think we can credit Beilein for finding and filling his team with shooters for most of his career much like NBA teams have started to desperately try and do with the success of teams like GS.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really think I said anything along the lines of Beilein being able to fix shots, especially in season. Most fluctuation in shooting percentage (whether it is up or down) within a season is primarily just statistical noise rather than some sort of coaching miracle.

That’s not to say that coaching can’t help, especially if something is fundamentally wrong technique wise, but usually it is a mental process.

1 Like

I think we agree. The post you responded to talked about the coaching element and you mentioned Beilein being a great shooting coach. I think this is more likely a significant slump much like the early season shooting being an outlier in the other direction and not so much a reflection of in season coaching. Hopefully water finds its level soon because these 20 something percent shooting nights from 3 are hard to watch.

I think it is 1/3 games played in the teams 31. I’m just going off when Bohanon was making his decision at Iowa the number of games which I believe was he played 10 or 11 and made the decision to red shirt. I know they’ve changed the rules in recent years. It used to be after exhibitions you could no longer play in any or you would burn it.

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
3 Likes

There we go thanks Dylan.

Seems to me that last year was somewhat similar to this year, in that collectively a group that should be on average a good group from 3 consistently shoots poorly. Different reasons there – Poole had that extended slump last year, whereas this year in some games teams have done a good job forcing the shots to come from lesser shooters and not our best ones.

Oops, reading comprehension fail on my part.

Who was the last player who stayed 5 year? If he’s red-shirted, his 5th year will be somewhere else.

1 Like