Game 2: Creighton at Michigan Recap

Starting Nunez makes sense because you want other guys to get accustomed to their roles. That means Livers at the four, DeJulius off the bench, etc.

That way when Franz comes back, nothing else really changes.

1 Like

Might need to upgrade your seats. Thought Simpson was masterful in both halves.

5 Likes

Howard said after the game (talked about this in 5 Takeaways) that he wants them to protect the rim though.

Yep, I doubted and still doubt Livers potential as a playmaker and passer but maybe underrated his tough shot making ability. Michigan just needs him to score right now.

1 Like

Hard to figure your logic here Dylan. If this is all predicated on planning for Franz’s return, wouldn’t you want to keep Nunez on the floor for longer than 11 minutes? I think the more logical explanation is that Nunez shoots light out in practice and Juwan wants to give him a chance to do the same in a real game. Nunez does seem uncomfortable out there.

As far as your comments on my seats go, I don’t think you will find many people who thought Z was awesome in the first half. You did notice that we were losing at the half, right? Hard to do when your sparkplug is having a great game.

Nunez starting keeps the rotation intact for the first 10-15 minutes of the game. That’s all it does. The fact that Nunez isn’t playing more minutes (and he hasn’t done anything to warrant more minutes) makes me think that the decision has to do with the rotation.

I’ve suggested the same reason for Nunez starting. It makes for the least disruption to the rotations when Franz returns. NBA teams frequently do the same thing. For example, 3rd string PG Frazier started for the Pistons went Jackson went down.

4 Likes

Simpson had 8 points on perfect shooting with 6 assists (accounting for 9 of Michigan’s 15 baskets) and 2 turnovers in the first half. He played a fantastic game in both halves.

Michigan was outscored 7-3 in the 3 minutes that Simpson sat in the opening half.

8 Likes

Simpson was awesome in the first half.

2 Likes

Responsibility of the point guard is to make the offense flow. The offense didn’t flow great in the first half. Several of Z’s passes really took Michigan out of its’ rhythm. I dunno Dylan, would you even concede that Z played better in the 2nd half?

Dylan what is the protocol for injury report updates and stuff like that in college basketball? Is the program obliged to give updates or will only info come from reporters asking JH in press conferences

1 Like

Program doesn’t have to give out any info

X has been making those passes for at least all of last season and they generally always get through. I think you can put this to rest just looking at his turnover numbers for the past two seasons.

JB would never allow that.

He didn’t allow that with just anybody, but he trusted X with the ball and that’s why he played 38/39 minutes a game last year. Either way, JB coaches the Cleveland Cavaliers, it doesn’t really matter what he would or wouldn’t have allowed.

The 30 or 40 foot cross court pass was not masterful, and I think X after watching the tape would agree. And by the way, I thought overall X was masterful and played a great game, and I am a huge fan, but that pass was completely out of character for him, I thought. And I again, I am as certain as I can be that, in the film session going over last night’s game, X put his hands to his head, and said, “Oh my gosh! What was I thinking?!?”

In MrLG’s defense, X certainly didn’t make such a pass in the second half, and he probably won’t the rest of the year! Please don’t view this as an unfair criticism of Zavier Simpson. Even the BEST of players occasionally makes a mistake. What I think is important is what one does about the mistakes he makes. My dad once told me that is the difference between a man and a boy, “what he makes of the mistakes that he makes,” and I deserved to be told that, because I had made a mistake, much bigger than a bad pass in the heat of the moment that led to a turnover. X was pretty near flawless in the second half! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Didn’t say Simpson played a perfect half but he’s in a role where he’s being asked to be more aggressive and is the only bonafide playmaker on the roster. He was the best player on the floor by a wide margin.

4 Likes

Absolutely! Not a perfect game, but really good! Agree.

Howard’s gotta stick up for his guys, but let’s be honest, Teske was simply beat by his man a few times in the first half. Didn’t have anything to do with him trying to block a shot.

I think I wrote exactly that @Nick. I don’t think accounts for all of the rebounds though, and I think larger positioning issues from Teske and others probably play a part.

You said “He played a fantastic game in both halves”, pretty close to saying he played a perfect half, no?

I dunno Dylan, you just seem to like to disagree with me.

1 Like

Has nothing to do with you. This is the comments section on an article largely about how well Simpson played. And I spent the morning writing another story about how well Simpson played.

2 Likes