Game 12: Presbyterian at Michigan Preview

For all those curious, this is what their mascot of “blue hose” means:

The nickname “Blue Hose” began in the early 1900’s, when sportswriters referred to the Presbyterian College athletic teams as the “Blue Stockings” because of the blue socks they wore. Writers used the terms “stockings” and “hose” interchangeably over the years.

6 Likes

So you’re saying that they shouldn’t have named their dance squad “The Sad Street Walkers”?

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. This might be the worst mascot name out there.

1 Like

Were early 20th century writers fascinated by socks? Cincinnati Red Stockings, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox…maybe there are more.

1 Like

Darned if I know.

3 Likes

I’ll be driving from Maryland to Michigan tomorrow so I’ll probably be somewhere in Pennsylvania during the game. I feel like I’ve seen people mention apps that you can use to listen to local radio stations from anywhere but I’ve never used one. If i’m not completely making this up does anyone know of said apps and if so what the best option is?

Nowadays I think that blue stockings are upper crust or intellectual women, so that’s. . . If I’m a sportscaster tomorrow, I won’t be able to say “the blue hose” enough!

Was already going to be a nice chance for CC to get going, but now he’ll have every opportunity. Maybe a blessing in disguise for him! (Also great that BJJ already got his confidence rolling, so he can afford to miss this one)

You should be able to pick up the Learfield IMG network that broadcasts Michigan games using TuneIn radio. mgoblue.com also carries the radio feed.

2 Likes

I will too. You better not friggin cut me off.

(and watch out for turnpike speed traps. Tomorrow’s a bumper revenue day for the highway patrol…)

3 Likes

Appreciate it, I may or may not have learned that the hard way in the past :roll_eyes:

Same here. Too early to tell.

1 Like

If you’re going to stream, you’re better off just going to the athletic department website (mgoblue.com) and streaming from there. Radio broadcasts are always available for free there.

2 Likes