Franz Wagner to announce decision sooner or later

Oh I didn’t know that! Thanks for updating.

My view has changed like Harry’s after Lloyd turned in the sheepdog for a moped!

1 Like

Are you certain those “posters” weren’t dart boards?

1 Like

Sly, I think Michigan has good talent but is just outside of the top 25. I think they will take a few weeks of games to be proficient at the new offensive and defensive schemes and I am optimistic they will develop well enough as a team to finish in the top 25. There are too many unknowns for me to say we are already top 25. We may already have the shooters we need for spacing on the roster, but that is yet to be proven. Add a talented outside shooter like Franz, who is already demonstrating that ability against good competition, and it improves the team greatly in my eyes.

Agreed. We’re good, maybe very good in the front court and should still be very good on defense, with a very capable point guard, but we have big question marks at the 2/3, and a lack of proven shooters. This team should have a decently high floor, but we’ll need multiple guys to take steps up to be solidly in the top 25.

we will see. a reboot from the new coaching staff might be all he needs.

1 Like

I tend to not worry about the preseason rankings. The biggest challenge for Juwan is to hold the group together during the inevitable down time during the stretch and bounce back towards the postseason.

On the flip side of that, if he’s planning to announce during the series and knows he’s staying, why wouldn’t he just say that he’s staying instead of “scheduling” an announcement.

2 Likes

Who do you think Franz would take the place of? Certainly he won’t be coming to AA without being sure of a starting position and major minutes.

Eli and Brandon Johns

2 Likes

I don’t think we’d have to give him a guarantee for major minutes to get them here. Lots of minutes available at 2-3-4, whether he starts or not. Besides, his brother didn’t play all that much his freshman year and he is still surely telling Franz that college b-ball is a good spot.

no guarantee but he sure is the front runner to start either 2 or 3 depending on which one of Johns and Brooks makes most stride in the off season.

2 Likes

Bingo. Guess you could also include DeJulius and Bajema in that mix.

1 Like

It looks like Franz’s game is about to tip off:

https://www.sofascore.com/team/basketball/alba-berlin/3516

1 Like

You can track it here: https://www.easycredit-bbl.de/de/n/spielberichte/2018-2019/live/2019-06-23-fcb-ber/#specialnavi=32

Not entirely sure what “reboot” means here, other than finger-crossing, but with regard to your comment about people being overly critical of Brooks, when a guy has played two years in a Beilein offense and still is shooting as badly as he was, despite playing every single game, a healthy skepticism about his future as a shooting guard is entirely justified. Sure, anyone CAN get better, but most guys have shown their game by the end of their second season on the floor.

1 Like

One thing on the Synergy stats on zone vs. man, it is important to point out that they are per play stats so they are almost always going to be lower numbers than what you see in terms of typical points per possession.

A zone points per play allowed doesn’t include for things like transition plays and things like offensive rebounds are actually new plays, not included in the same possession like we usually talk about it.

Miami ended up ranked 5th in the NBA in zone defense at .92 points per play.

1 Like

THis is +1 sports obsession tracking the game time for a foreign 17 year old…

2 Likes

No start for Franz this time around.

1 Like

I agree but barring major injury to one of the big three I can’t envision a team that isn’t top 25. More than anything it’s not that we’re stacked or something but you look at other teams, very few teams have a lot going on for them as well. I can’t find 20 better teams. The trio we have is one of the best trios in The country and should carry us.

Add to it I think johns is about to make a huge leap, colin can clearly play and I’m pretty convinced eli has turned the corner mentally so he should at least be competent and that should be enough to at least keep us in the 20-25 range and maybe more.

Thank you! I was sitting on my deck drinking coffee and feeling much to lazy to go searching for the final stats. Just knew their 2-3 was outperforming their man to man, which is quite good, about halfway through the season according to points per.