Franz Wagner to announce decision sooner or later

2 Likes

Franz would make a huge difference to this year’s team. Sure hope he did well on the SAT and has established a good telephone relationship with Coach Howard.

3 Likes

Posted it in the other thread, but he says he’s up to 6ft9. Man this is going be a huge starting lineup if he comes.

3 Likes

Franz is gonna have to guard 6’2" combo guards pretty regularly haha

1 Like

Bet we play a lot of zone next year

1 Like

I think this may be happening. If so, it could turn out to be the early boost Juwan Howard looks back on with greatest fondness.

7 Likes

Certainly seems as if confidence is growing. Would be huge.

1 Like

Mattski, I think you are right. If it happens, Franz strengthens a decent team into probable top 25 range. A successful first season would keep the early momentum going for Coach Howard.

3 Likes

Franz Wagner come on over to AA. I’m sure Coach Juwan and brother Mo have told you how great it is to be a Michigan Wolverine.

If Wagner joins the team I will have a lot higher expectations for the the season. Not knowing what kind of offense Howard will run I think the addition of Franz would make the 4 spot the question mark for the team. I honestly think Brandon Johns is going to take a big leap and we’re all going to be pleasantly surprised.

5 Likes

You don’t think this is a top 25 team now?

1 Like

hard to say. too many unknowns and we need shooters bad.

1 Like

The 2 is still going to be the biggest question mark for the team, by far. With Poole gone, we don’t have a big SG we can count on, and there is no clear starter there out of Brooks, DeJulius, Nunez or Bajema. Even if there were, I’m not convinced that any of them are actually well suited for the 2. At this point, I would guess it’ll be Brooks to start the season, and we’ll have to cross our fingers that he takes a step up.

1 Like

you people r way down on Brooks. he will be at least competent at 2. Cole and DDJ will be the backup.

6 Likes

Yup. Juwan deployed the 2-3 quite a bit last year with the Heat and had a good amount of success with it. I know about halfway through the season their 2-3 was giving up 0.85 points per possession.

I’m more pessimistic. His comment about wanting to announce during the series makes me think he’s staying with Alba. Just doubt he’d announce he’s leaving during it.

reply to superdave: an optimistic view is that he plans attend the summer school which starts on July 3rd and the series could drag into the very end of June.

3 Likes

I just have a feeling he is coming

Well, we’re all clutching at straws, of course. But the desire to announce could also suggest a desire to get on with it even though he was expected to wait. I liked the little bit about his height, and hoped it could be a tiny clue. Mainly, I think that the perceived declining value of the Euro league as prep for players c/w the fact that if he comes here he can kind of have his cake and eat it–have great fun in the wonderful atmosphere of a great college town AND then go to the league (getting acclimatized along the way) might give M the edge. Also–not to be too silly–but when I saw those Washington women’s march posters on the Wagners’ dining room walls in the interview segment I thought. . . classic A2 libruls! It’s just a good fun experience to have, getting a little more educated while you’re at it–why forego?

2 Likes

Well, Brooks was 29% on 3 pointers last year, 38% overall, and those numbers were even worse in conference play. That’s not very promising for a shooting guard in his second season. At this point, he just doesn’t project as a starting caliber player at a top 25 level, but we may have to use him as that anyway, unless someone like Bajema really breaks out, a la Stauskas.

1 Like