Franz Wagner Status

His dad’s name on this site has “Dr” in it, so I’m guessing they do alright without Moe’s income. Other than that, I have no idea.

2 Likes

Especially when it’s not your money.

@DrZ what say you?

He can’t be a walk-on because it’s a 4 year scholarship per B1G rule. Jace is a scholarship athlete and will continue to be a scholarship athlete.

1 Like

If Juwan knew that Franz is coming back, he wouldn’t have been recruiting transfers. It’s pretty telling that Juwan and the coaching staff expects Franz to declare for the draft. That would create an awkward situation for the transfer that they don’t have room for him which would create a negative recruiting chip for other B1G coaches to use against Juwan.

That’s not his dad…PAX is his dad.

(I intentionally didn’t @ him)

If Franz returns, JH can always “encourage” Adrian Nunez or Zeb to find a new home. If he wants to come back, they will find a way…

1 Like

I know, I was just asking someone else with a Dr in their username if they agreed

1 Like

I’d bet money he’d never do that…he just wouldn’t take a transfer.

How’s that work with the walk on football players that are given scholarships for one year when they have extra ones left over?

Difference they’re walk-ons to begin with while Jace signed NIL as a scholarship player which is a 4 year binding contract. Jace cannot get off the scholarship to be a walk on or it’s a B1G rule violation.

Nobody I’ve spoken with is of the impression that a decision hasn’t been made.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s right. Scholarships will be “neither reduced nor cancelled” as long as athletes maintain good standing in school, within the athletic department and in the community. The 4-year rule was made so schools can’t jerk around the kids and unfairly pull their scholarships if they aren’t as good as expected. Michigan can’t take away his scholarship, but if the kid volunteers it is different.

Volunteering to go off scholarship isn’t an issue of being unfair or cruel to the kid. Kids voluntarily relinquish their 4-year scholarship with a school all the time when they transfer or leave to go pro or simply quit the team. They don’t have to stay on scholarship at the school for four years. Admittedly it is an extremely rare example where a kid would ever volunteer to stop having his school paid for so there aren’t many examples out there and it’s not an issue that’s often contemplated. That said, I think the scholarship situation works itself out and Jace remains a scholarship player.

4 Likes

That can’t be right DOT. I just read all of the super great points about how a lottery pick is coming back to school for a year to work on his 3 point shot. You must be mistaken. Also, his family is wealthy, so that makes a difference too. I doubt you factored that in Dot.

Nonsense. Lottery picks don’t come back. If he’s thinking about it, someone needs to talk to him.

2 Likes

Me allowing myself to get excited about Franz despite the entire reality of the situation is going to cause the same gut punch when he declares as when we lost Livers and still made a magical run to the elite 8 only to lose a stinker to a play-in team.

Come on guys, staying heads down on his studies and committing to the draft are not incompatible. Don’t get emotionally invested in this one.

9 Likes

Started to write something mildly humorous about Franz’s family being pretty obviously decently off, as commentary here going back to Mo’s tenure made clear.

Got me to thinking though. . . I wonder what other players’ decisions might look like in a country that had a decent safety net like Germany? Where people weren’t having to go for the money to help extended family networks?

EDIT: Agree emotional investment in Franz staying is a mistake!

1 Like

Yeesh, y’all. Tagging another poster with a “Dr” in his username was, as I said above, a joke related to the original comment about Franz’s dad also having a “Dr.” Not a comment on anyone’s personal wealth :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

If you ask someone with Dr in their user name their opinion about Moe’s income, how is that not a comment on their income? Must have misunderstood.

It was just a light hearted joke. Its not that deep

6 Likes