Franz Wagner Status

In this scenario you’re saying he becomes a slightly better player but definitely has lower stock?

I know people talk in absolutes a lot and I don’t think there’s any real shot he comes back, but to say there’s no way him coming back could be a good decision is a bit silly. It’s all hypothetical but it’s not impossible he comes back and gets drafted higher.

1 Like

I’ll optimistically add that Franz is super young for his grade and is a projected top 20 pick despite shooting 32.5% from three for his college career. I doubt the 3PT shooting numbers would get worse in another season.

But he would certainly risk a ton coming back just due to injury concerns. Although isn’t the Miles Bridges Insurance Policy a thing?

The older you get, the bigger a jump you need to make to maintain stasis. I think we know what kind of player Franz is and what he looks like in the NBA at this point with his 3 point shooting being a swing skill. If that stagnates, he’s gonna lose stock. I’m not sure how much Franz can realistically add to his game otherwise that is going to balloon his stock.

2 Likes

Just based on probability, where’s he at now, and the type of player he is, he’s more likely to go down in the draft than up. Just more room down than up

3 Likes

Also Jones is making his decision Saturday. So the coaches expect either Franz to go or someone else to leave

3 Likes

Jace could be converted to a walk on couldn’t he?

1 Like

I think Doug McBuckets went off scholarship his senior year so a teammate could get one. But I have no idea what the rules are.

I’ve heard conflicting both ways so I honestly don’t know. I doubt they’re recruiting under that pretense but if Franz came back they may have to

He could. He would have to relinquish his scholarship.

He’s only 19. It wouldn’t be crazy for him to come back. Not only could he improve his shooting, he could become an even better play maker. It’s not just about getting to the NBA. It’s about having a successful career in the NBA.

2 Likes

He’ll learn more in the NBA and can make millions of dollars while learning

7 Likes

The kid can do what he wants. We may all have our opinions about it, but just let him do whatever he wants to do. I’m sure he hears enough people telling what the right decision is. So let’s not add to that, and let him do what he thinks is best as Ernie has so eloquently said earlier

4 Likes

I would have to agree. He was the best defensive player in the big 10 last year, and he was not even voted to the all defensive team. Perhaps he thinks he has a lot more to prove next year, something that will put him in the lottery for sure. I is quite possible he is aiming for the Big 10 player of the year, and given the extraordinary recruiting class, it would be fun to play with all the talent, and be further exposed to all the hype and TV coverage. A National Championship would be a good target, and within the team’s reach.

1 Like

Did Bridges, Miles improve his draft stock by coming back… asking for a friend

Me not letting any of you get my hopes up

7 Likes

8 Likes

I don’t think he hurt or helped his stock. He’s having a real good year and finishing the year super strong.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. My point was that just as crazy things have happened. My hope is slim but it wouldn’t be the first time and there is a possibility of that it isn’t a negative move for his draft and pro stock

1 Like

Dumb question but outside of Moe are the Wagner’s very well off financially? I mean Moe having millions certainly makes the entire family more secure and I’m sure if Franz was in a tight spot he’d be there for him but it’s not like he’s splitting his paycheck with his family. Surely Franz wants to make some money for himself. If he comes back and tears his ACL in the first game of the season and is now a 2nd round pick with an 2 year 800k contract or something, his family having money is not going to soften that financial blow.

1 Like

It’s funny that we’re trying to warn people not to criticize a very good basketball player for making a decision to stay with their favorite basketball team.