Franz Wagner feature - Andy Katz

I’ve usually seen him pegged as a second rounder, just based on Givony’s old mocks. Maybe that’s wrong? I don’t think so.

Here’s one from January that doesn’t have him mocked:

That’s not to say he wouldn’t have been one and done.

I think there’s some disconnect between what recruiting services think the NBA wants and what they actually want. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a mock with him in the first round. For a forward like Todd, they’re gonna be looking at his agility to see if he’s a decent defender. And he falls short there. Also shows no ability to be a rim protector. And He doesn’t have a history producing for Team USA or anything that would give him cred.

1 Like

I mostly agree, but I figure the 6 figure G League offer shows that there’s at least mild intrigue there.

Either that or they’re stretching their standards a bit to try and build up that path as a legit option to more people. Could very well be the latter.

Oh of course there’s intrigue. Wasn’t trying to say there wasn’t, just don’t think he’s a lock first-rounder or anything.

They gotta start somewhere. If all they go for are 1 and done first round picks that gives them a target of like 15 guys to choose from

Franz is 31 on Vecenie’s early 2021 Board which he said is more of a watch list this early but that’s still a good spot before the season.

Christopher at 17, Todd at 52

2 Likes

Also in Givony’s new 2021 mock he has Franz 43

I think this G-League path is going to be fascinating to follow in the next 2-4 years. Think of all the different nuances:

• How does it start with this first class and do they have all of the wrinkles figured out?
  • Does this first class see the benefits in terms of a springboard to the NBA?
  • What does the Covid economic impact due to the next couple of seasons?
  • Is there any meaningful TV/media coverage? (i.e. building brand/name recognition)
  • Does this turn into a home for the 1-and-done 5-stars? Or just an alternative to guys who don’t want to go to college or overseas?
  • Is there a meaningful change to recruiting by the blue-bloods with G-league as a competitor?
  • What does the pay scale look like going forward?

During the Todd craziness this path seemed to be sold as a way for the top-25 guys in the class to skip the NCAA farce of 1-and-done with classes, practice limits, pay limits, etc. so they could become pros under the watchful eye of the NBA. But if the guys who jump at it are just 2nd-round prospects and don’t get paid as much…what is it really? Feels more like hockey prospects going to a semi-pro league and getting modest income.

I mean 2 of the guys in it are guaranteed top 5 picks and another is a lottery pick. So it’s not just a group of 2nd round picks.

If you take injuries out of the equation, I would argue that the competition in the G-league would be much higher than in college, and the chances the “guaranteed” picks might fizzle is higher. So the risk of joining the G-league is higher. And of course, you have the exposure factor. I am not sure the G-League will have many games on the TV. But you cannot ignore the cash factor.

Except the G-League select or whatever they’re calling it doesn’t actually play in the G-League because they’re not a real team. The plan was for them to train with an NBA coach and play exhibition games. Also top level recruits only fall so much even if they play poorly in college (Jaden McDaniel, Nassir Little, etc), so I’m not sure how much risk it is.

1 Like

Well said. Exactly where I’m at as well.

Well, it will be interesting to see how all these guys develop. If Todd shines with all of that talent maybe he shoots up the draft boards. If he is somewhat invisible given how raw he is as a prospect and how much other talent is there…what is his next step?

he’s averaging 12.5 points, 7.1 boards, 3.0 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.3 blocks while shooting 36.1 percent from three. No high-major player has hit those thresholds since 1992. Only eight players have come close, among them Anfernee Hardaway, David West, Lamar Odomm Tim Duncan (who did it twice), Grant Williams and Earl Clark.

11 Likes