Four-star guard Zeb Jackson commits to Michigan

Updated per the feedback above. I can’t get everything perfect because I have to slot players into spots opened by departing players, which don’t necessarily match perfectly, e.g. Matthews/Wilson.

We are talking about “late blooming” in different ways. You are talking about “blowing up” in terms of recruiting interest, I think. I am talking about late blooming in terms of relative stage of puberty compared to other top athletes in his grade level. Biological age and bio banding are a huge tool for determining appropriate training for young athletes and for determining the ultimate potential a young athlete has…So much so that other sports are experimenting with dividing kids by biological markers rather than chronological age…The fact that Zeb was not only keeping up but flourishing as a biologically young freshman is a significant indicator for his college potential. I have always believed that Beilein has been way ahead of the learning curve on weighing a recruits ultimate potential by adding the concept of “biological age” to the formula.

1 Like

But we’re saying that he’s average to old for his grade and has already gone through a big growth spurt early on in HS. I guess I’m missing what part is late.

Bajema grew several inches a year later which would strike me as more of a late bloomer.

Chronological age is not really relevant. We would need to chart his actual growth with biological markers to have a better idea. Has he reached peak height velocity yet? I would guess he reached PHV between his Freshman and Sophmore year. A lot of kids and even more athletes reach PHV in 8th grade. Did you see him his Freshman year? Interviews? This is a subjective assessment on my part but, relative to his grade he looked like a kid who was approximately 1 year behind I terms of average biological age and 2 years behind average biological age of kids considered top athletes. I don’t expect him to be a Caris type late bloomer but I would definitely put him in the late bloomer category.

Biological age markers and peak height velocity are new ones on me! Good detail in this thread, guys.

Even more confident that Zeb is a late bloomer after watching clips of him in 8th grade. Zeb is the little kid making bigger kids look silly in all of the clips.

Could very well be top 20 by his senior year in HS.

2 Likes

We have an open slot for this year? I see the chart has a blank spot.

Yes, because we were 1 over, and then Moe and Ibi left early

He seems like he has a babyface, kinda like Caris did. Then again, I had to grow a beard because even at age 36 i still look 18 when I shave… I think we’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole here fellas.

I care about his physical growth of course, but I care more about basketball IQ and the capacity to grow there. The rest will take care of itself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree ChipJonez. I thought about what it would be like to be Zeb, coming to this website, the day after his decision and the main conversation on this website is the stage of puberty he is in. Haha. How weird would that be? So I apologize to over-contributing on that subject.

Mainly I just wanted to convey how big I believe landing Zeb will prove to be. I agree with others who believe he is the biggest guard recruit since Burke and I believe he will be considered top 20 before he graduates high school. Very excited that we have Zeb on our team!

1 Like

Hmm I handnt realized. Kinda surprised he didn’t push for a grad transfer shooter just in case. Then again it would be hard to find minutes. This team will be all about balance and depth like two years ago but with younger guys.

I’m just praying z and Mathews can shoot ft and threes better. Eli and livers will be key from deep along with ignas. Poole’s a given. Hell I think Davis and teske have range. Will they be confident enough and given the green light to pull it though?

As I was pushing for last year I really think we need to push the pace and get points on the break. We need Mathews to step up but i really hope he plays within himself and trusts the team. I’m scared he’s going to try and do too much for the scouts to try and separate himself. Best thing he could do is show improved handle and that he can stick as an athletic 3 and d guy.

1 Like