Former Michigan Players in the NCAA

To be fair, I think our memories are flawed, or we wishcast a bit. I’m reading Dylan’s scout of him when he committed:

The only time the word “three” or the number “3” appears in the body of the text is for Dylan to say “he’s not making threes at that level (Grassroots basketball)”.

He does note a mid-range jumper he uses to pop out of the ball screen game, but most of his assets listed are finishing at the rim and defense (both which are evident in his college career)

1 Like

He did it at his HS, which is mentioned. Dylan’ assessment appears to be fair. Mentioning he didn’t do those things in the summer so probably not fair to expect that immediately. But I do vividly remember watching his HS highlight tapes which I’m sure has stuck with me more than Dylan’s measured analysis

3 Likes

He was always more of a theoretical stretch big because of how he moved. I think the idea was also that any big would be a stretch big if they played for Beilein. But it isn’t like he was a volume three point shooter as a prospect IIRC.

3 Likes

Yeah during this talk I’ve been asking myself how much of his three point shooting future was based on our head coach being Beilein, and how much was his demonstrated skill.

Regardless, Juwan didn’t get him playing close-range, that was mostly what he was doing in AAU, it seems.

I remember this too. His HS highlight tape had me salivating. Obviously, the summer stuff is against better competition though so probably easier to project based on that.

I tried to find the old HS highlight videos, but it looks like they were removed from Hudl and YouTube. How unfortunate.

1 Like

I’m impressed with his ability to score at all three levels. He’s good down low as you would expect. He does, after all, tower over his competition, but his mid range game is outstanding and his three point shot is very good and seemingly quite effortless. The AD said he thought it was around the rim that Colin would need the most development because of the strength factor.

Turns out the AD was not a college scout

Also appears that Dylan should get into the scouting biz

Lol precisely wrong

Shap liked his shooting stroke though!

Convinced this was a shared delusion (I shared it as well)

He took 2 3’s in his commitment video! :grinning:

1 Like

They just said on the FLA/UK broadcast that Castleton leads Florida in points, rebounds, assists, and blocks this season. Wow…

3 Likes

Since Frankie showed up on my TV last night after I (and other sickos on this board) watched NW/OSU it seemed like a good time to check in on our former players:

- Frankie (ASU 17-8) - Continues to plug along as their primary PG about 30mpg. His 3pt shooting is decent at 34% on a couple of attempts per game. His 2pt is down under 45% so that’s not great, but it isn’t horrible. His assists (4.6) and turnovers (2.3) are mediocre. Overall he’s around 11ppg and I would say “steady” rather than good or bad.
- Johns (VCU 18-7) - He’s helped VCU to first in their conference and averages 28mpg as a starter. He still isn’t shooting threes (about 1 per game at 24%) but his other numbers are solid. He’s at 58% from 2pt and 77% from the stripe while averaging 12/5. He’s scored 20 points a couple of times but otherwise seems to be a solid but unspectacular starter - sounds like a good fit/role for him. I hope they make the tournament!
- Jackson (VCU 18-7) - He’s part of their rotation and getting 15-20mpg usually, but definitely among a crowded bench group of three 6-5/6-6 wings all fighting for minutes. His 2pt (51%) and FT (78%) are solid but he can’t hit threes (21% on 42 attempts). He’s about 5.5ppg with only three games in double figures.
- Bajema (UW 13-12) - He’s a full time starter averaging a whopping 32mpg. He doesn’t do a whole lot with those minutes (10ppg, 4.5rpg) but he seems to be a solid contributor. He’s shooting line is 49/38/88. I can’t comment on his defense from his stats page. Picture maybe a poor-man’s Duncan - takes about 7 shots a game, mostly threes, hits them at a solid rate, doesn’t do much else and probably doesn’t take as many shots as he should. Outside shot we could see them in the NIT I guess.
- Castleton (UF 13-11) - Another team scuffling along on the wrong side of the bubble, but not because of Colin. He’s having a fantastic season and leading the team in all statistical categories. He’s probably going to go dominate some foreign league for years to come. He’s averaging 16/8/3 for the counting stats and shooting 52% from 2pt and 74% from FT. He’s had 7 games over 20 points this season.
- DDJ (UC 16-9) - Once again a fringe bubble/NIT team and once again another former player who plays well over 30mpg. He’s having almost an identical season to last year as a 5th year senior with the exception of finally hitting 3s for the first time in his career (40%). He’s at 14.4ppg and 4.9apg. He’s matched Castleton with 7 games over 20 points.
- Wilson (KU 18-5) - The one team solidly in the tournament and the best of the bunch…even if he didn’t ever make it to campus. Career high in points (21.5), rebounds (8.6), 3pt (36%), FT (78%).

6 Likes

it just occurred to me - why is Wilson not in the league? surely he would’ve entered the draft years ago if he’d been here :joy:

5 Likes

UW plays Syracuse’s 2-3 zone on almost every possession. After 3 years of it, Cole knows where to stand and how to wave his arms around.

4 Likes

Bajema is having himself a game today. 16 points with 3 triples. Washington tied with Colorado with a minute to go.

5 Likes

Mike Hopkins polishing his resume for Syracuse

2 Likes

He’s too late.

2 Likes

That :poop: is nice and polished.

So how many of our former guys are going to be dancing while we enjoy the NIT?

IN:. Johns, Zeb, Wilson, Frankie
OUT: Castleton, Bajema, DDJ?

Kinda wild that the three guys who left this off season are all going to go dancing.

VCU has to win tomorrow probably

1 Like