Film Room: Breaking down North Carolina's pressure defense and transition offense

1 Like

No voiceovers this week because Gibson is sick, but still some good video in there.

Watching that first video… How do coaches like Alford not hire capable assistants to handle the actual coaching while they recruit? That offense is Amaker ugly.

Great stuff as usual. I have to think that if UNC relies on transition offense, Michigan matches up pretty well. I’m sure UNC will get some steals, but they probably won’t get nearly as many as they’re used to.

Beyond just the steals and those sort of easy transition baskets, UNC puts pressure on opponents by running on every possession. Off of misses, makes, you name it. Similar to Michigan State in many ways.

You got it backwards

Wouldn’t one of the counters to denying one pass away on the perimeter be the backdoor cut?

It will be interesting to see if UNC persists on denying that first pass off the ball, how UofM handles that, and will they be able to turn that approach by UNC into some easy buckets!

Time for some border-line obstruction by slapping the ball elsewhere on makes.

1 Like

I think Simpson handles the pressure easily. Hopefully Brooks plays within himself when handling the ball and out of his mind from 3.

Given how much Carolina runs, this could be a difficult test for our short veteran rotation. If Davis can get up and down the floor and match up with the Tarheel bigs for 8 minutes, it would go a long way towards keeping Livers and Brazdeikis from running out of gas late in the game.

I’m interested to see how Simpson and Brooks deal with an opposing PG with a six inch height advantage.

Who are some similar players to White that Simpson has played against?

Maybe Tony Carr? Similar height in any case.
Shep Garner 6’2" was also on the floor, so not sure who Simpons was matched with on D.

The only big concern that I have for tomorrow is 3 point shooting! If they rush their shots from the outside, that will help the Heels a lot so hopefully Michigan takes their time and make a good shot from downtown