European Soccer

There’s a balance to it all though. And there’s the reality that this has been a program of 18-25 year olds developing into the national team. The most talented crop of youngsters we’ve had as a country – and a group that we can aspire to be more than we’ve ever had before as they age into their prime.

Of course, there’s tactics in a specific game or whatnot. But it isn’t as simple as some are making it out to be and there’s a development portion.

I guess I don’t think GGG has much of a development role. Except for recruiting which I think we all think he did well enough. But re development, I actually exonerate him fully for any shortcomings. That’s a club / player issue.

1 Like

Yes – I’m not saying he’s responsible for how individuals develop with their club. I’m saying that the USMNT aspiring to play a certain way in order to develop as a group is a worthwhile thing – ESPECIALLY 5-6 years ago.

We didn’t need someone to grind out results in a major tournament, we needed someone to rebuild the USMNT from a messy spot. Now, we need someone who can win some games in a tourney.

Very different IMO.

3 Likes

Ok maybe. I guess I doubt the talent. But it was reasonable, maybe, a few years ago. I guess what I heard from Greg was we want to play like Barcelona, to play 4-3-3 build from the back press a little soccer.

I guess my reaction to that was always that USA is never going to out technical a good side, so why bother, but USA has mostly dominated CONCACAF so maybe, actually, it was the right choice.

James Rodriguez is just that guy when he’s with Colombia. Crazy to see him doing this despite the fact that his club career is at its tail end.

1 Like

He’s just a set piece wizard

The foolishness in this Copa America games is quite something.

1 Like

This COPA is starting to effect my normal thinking pattern, I was like nice hidden side pinch, really provoked him enough to elbow you into his 2nd yellow. I don’t know if I could handle being in CONMEBOL full time.

Just like Darwin Nunez is a wizard at shooting from everywhere at everything other than the goal.

I wasn’t trying to diminish him, meant more “he’s simply a wizard”

Didn’t mean it to be diminishing. Darwin is legitimately amazing at doing that though. His shot volume, ability to get to dangerous positions, everything is off the charts other than hitting the net. It’s hard to explain. That should be the hard part.

1 Like

The crazy part is that I’ve always felt like the CONCACAF BS is in large part due to the gulf in quality between some of the smaller countries…

The Copa stuff isn’t even about that, it is just the style of play generally. Petulant.

2 Likes

This is going to be a bloodbath.

This game is going to go completely off the rails as Colombia tries to waste 45 minutes.

Ref just kept the game moving from a deadball while a Colombia player was laying on the ground screaming in “pain”.

Then ran to the middle of the pitch and fell down screaming again. Getting stretchered off for the 2nd time in 5 minutes.

Is CONMEBOL soccer always like this?

Incredible scenes, even if the game was absolute shambles.And of course Suarez starts a brawl.

1 Like

How we are like just CONCACAF things, their fans are saying just CONMEBOL things so I imagine yes.

That last 20 minutes was wild. Mandatory post game fight happening now. I might be more excited for the Copa final than the Euro final

1 Like

Agreed. Post World Cup i thought it was him and Pulisic (and Weston i guess) and then everyone else behind them. He needs a good full club season this year.

Uruguay players going full Ron Artest fighting in the stands.

2 Likes