European Soccer

I’m sure the next coach will immediately make all the players amazing! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I think the Foden criticism mostly stemmed from the group/R16 games when they played a 4-2-3-1

Ha, I get this take. But also, it was the only thing you could do.

Even though it isn’t going to make everything immediately significantly better, it still had to be the move IMO.

Such an L bringing him back and not going after Bielsa who had expressed interest. There’s a couple big fish out there, try and not be yourselves USSF and get it done.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s basically the argument for canning Budenholzer…the roster is set, you aren’t getting what you want out of team, this is last lever to pull.

Except Budenholzer was actually a good caoch who won a title :rofl:

This is more, Gregg got six years to do something and didn’t do anything outrageous. Out of chances.

you all are going to look pretty silly when this exhaustive search concludes with them hiring berhalter again

what if berhalter is hired to chair the search committee

1 Like

I mean, yeah, obviously Bud was way more successful.

More just saying that at this point they’re looking for margins, and as we’ve discussed there really aren’t many from a roster standpoint, this is the one club in the bag

I don’t even disagree with the call to move on from Gregg! USMNT just has some of the most delusional fans I’ve ever seen. People who believe if Marsch was the coach they could compete in 2026 when in reality the players aren’t nearly good enough to play with top teams.

I don’t see them hiring a coach that doesn’t speak English this time around either, FWIW.

Either way, the process to end up back at Berhalter was definitely bizarre.

But hey, who cares about the Copa and there’s no qualifying. This is a chance to make the right hire and try to do something at the WC.

1 Like

The twitter discourse is absolutely awful with all of the BS USMNT-Buzz-Scoop-whatever accounts. The anti-Gregg, anti-MLS, just screaming out stuff is brutal. And usually backed by silly stuff akin to posting screen shots of plus/minus stats after a college hoops game.

I get that the algos push that stuff these days but it is awful and unreadable.

2 Likes

So Gregg is out. How do they get better? Im 45 but i don’t recall a list of great USA coaches in their history. Is Bradley or Jurgen their best?

I think the Marsch thing is crazy - his Leeds team was awful, his insistency on an extremely high press no matter the personnel didn’t speak well.

I think people discuss him because he and Gregg have loathed each other for decades, and Marsch has been a rather unsubtle agitator against him for a long time…and lots of people don’t think Gregg was the proper hire from the jump, so Marsch gets positioned as an alternative.

I have to think we can do better.

1 Like

Yep it’s gotta be the worst twitter fan base I’ve seen, and that includes like Illinois basketball and Man United haha

I’d say that Arena and Bradley are probably the best two? Berhalter and Jurgen both did some good things, some bad things and left everyone hating them in the end.

1 Like

Klinsman was an outright disaster. He owns the failure to qualify in 2018, which is probably the biggest failure in recent US soccer history.

Bob Bradley was probably the most successful

1 Like

Not huge on Marsch, GGG tried that press until you die style in the last World Cup and didn’t really suit us.

Probably Bob though on best manager. Jurgen set the blueprint for getting out of the MLS and getting the kids playing in Europe, whether that ends up paying off or not we will see. But he also decided to go to war with Donovan on his retirement tour and fractured the locker room all for Julian Green.

Hey that’s “world cup goalscorer” Julian green

I think the hard part of evaluating former coaches is that in the end, they all leave the car crashed in the ditch. That’s kind of how managing a national team goes.

Everyone hates Berhalter right now, but he also got a ton of success out of the USMNT with a very young team.

https://x.com/MattDoyle76/status/1811153429441421795

Klinsmann got the US out of a ridiculously tough group in the '14 WC.

So it’s generally hard to say because basically all of these guys got the US out of a group at a WC and then eventually wore out their welcome.

And moving forward… this:

https://x.com/MattDoyle76/status/1811156632392372667