European Soccer

The ESPN potential coaching list is ambitious and somewhat laughable at times, but a lot of probable candidates. Just throwing in Tuchel and Poch in there at the bottom. I’m sure they are waiting by the phone.

1 Like

Tuchel is the perfect venn diagram unison of impossible and disappointing, I love it

1 Like

I could not know less about any of the guys that aren’t megafamous–and I assume they’re either off the table or over the hill or whatever–but Wagner was the resume that popped for me. Guy with experience in the top leagues but isn’t really viewed as a great manager in those leagues seems like the tier to draw from for this stuff? Thinking out loud, that’s essentially Marsch’s resume, right?

“Guys we know” is a very important metric for bad organizations, so Wagner, Cherundolo, and Ramos are in my mind the favorites in the clubhouse (I’m not implying they’re bad hires, I don’t know, I’m saying that “hey I know that guy” is a bad metric)

1 Like

I think Nancy might be an interesting name I hadn’t thought of much before that article. Seems he runs a 3-4-2-1 which would fit with our lack of center depth and the +1 situation we have in the midfield, but I don’t know all that much about him.

Shine is off Curtin, but he is another system type guy that might work well in a two year window. Philly is a hot mess right now though so it’s hard to really suggest him for the job.

Potter is a guy you could throw a line it, but he’s about to sign for Leicester. Wish Allegri would have made the list and could back channel a bit with Weah and McKennie, but doubt that one happens.

It is kind of Marsch like I suppose. That Schalke run was a disaster. Sargent would know him from last year. He seems like a solid back up plan if you miss on a few other targets.

1 Like

Graham Potter is a good manager, I think, who had the misfortune of getting snagged in the Chlesea coach-destroying-machine, but a lot of his success/strength seems to be in identifying valuable players in ways other clubs seem to miss, and building a cogent 11, but those are also strengths that Brighton has maintained since he left, which makes me wonder how much of that is him, vs. the club. It’s also primarly the main skill that is extremely valuable at a club, and probably not at all on a national team.

1 Like

Seems like he adapted a few different systems while at Brighton. Here is a deep dive into it.

2 Likes

FWIW on the USMNT coaching position: https://x.com/boomerrichey/status/1809796613558170105?t=HVZJzoyLgN2cnje_SdLm6w

1 Like

Dolo runs the same system as GGG, but he’s a far better in-game manager. Doesn’t raise the ceiling all that much, but maybe raises the floor. He has LAFC wrecking the MLS since he was hired but I don’t know. I’d be pretty whelmed if they didn’t do much of a search and just brought him in. At least go out and get turned down a few times first.

1 Like

He Cherunds up the field and he Dolos back. IYKYK

ESPN needs to stop.

2 Likes

seems fine to me, according to the rules.

3 Likes

Hot take, but spending a boatload on Klopp for two years as a “home World Cup hype fund move” makes way more sense to me than people who think that the USMNT is going to go out and hire some slightly above-average but interesting Euro manager who would have no reason to come.

It just fits a lot more with how soccer is marketed and handled here in the US.

More likely, an MLS guy or someone with very obvious ties who everyone is somewhat skeptical of and then does an OK job.

2 Likes

I think USSF is waiting for it to blow over and quietly retain GGG.

there is just no possible way they can do that, right?.. right?

This seems like the same fantasy people in Canada had in regards to Carlo Ancelotti. When he isn’t coaching he lives in Vancouver with his wife. Smart people know he wouldn’t take the Canada job. Ancelotti said he wanted the job but…

Completely wild take based purely on my personal vibes: Today we finally get a Phil Foden game for England.

1 Like

Foden is set up to fail in Southgate’s system. But everyone is really, the fail but less than the opponent strat. Best thing that could happen for them is like yesterday where France scored early. Dutch go up 1, will have to open it up. I’m feeling like another sleepy 1-0 type of affair.

Spain going to best either of these teams soundly though imo. The real final was yesterday.

Why does Palmer continually come off the bench?