European Soccer

Surprised Mexico is so cheap when this is by far their national sport.

you have convinced me of many things in my life and i’m quite sure i’ve never convinced you of anything, and this is not going to be the slumpbuster

Hard to pay anyone too much when you know you have to pay the next guy in 18 months :joy:

If you want to say it is bad luck that he got caught on camera saying it I will buy that. That made it 10x worse. :joy:

The whole Gregg things reminds me a lot of Michigan hoops the last 24 months. The people that built followings by tweeting out close game results or MLS hate or GreGGGGG or whatever — and there are whole Gregg accounts out there basically — are validated and it’s annoying because of that but there’s just not really another path forward.

The actual why they lost this time isn’t a huge Gregg blunder but there’s no way to get enough air back in the balloon.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone can argue that having players that the big 4 leagues want to pay is not better than not having players they want to play. Player better competition makes you a better athlete, especially at their age.

But we have a team of European role players

Uruguay started a starting MF on the UCL champion who is about to basically become Tony Kroos, three defenders who started for CL sides, and a striker who scored 12 for Liverpool

Any of those guys would basically be the best American club player in history save maybe Deuce or Brian McBride (non-goalie division)

Our talent is better, but absolutely we are still at a level where if a guy has a mental break and makes us play man down for 80 minutes against a team we should beat it will imperil the entire tournament

None of this excuses Gregg, he should go

But teams that win knockout round games in these tournaments have multiple CL caliber players

We have zero

3 Likes

Gregg has to go for optics and a reset alone…even if we aren’t sure who is out there to replace him. And while we arguably have as much talent in history, we still don’t have depth or a truly elite player - both things mean our margin for error is small. In a sport where margins are already small, you are always going to be on the edge of glory and failure. Injuries, refs, field conditions, red cards, etc. can flip that in a heartbeat.

I am happy we are playing a more modern style of soccer and have promising young talent playing around the world. I dont need to go back to the old days of packing it in and hoping your GK makes 15 saves. But we aren’t over the hump yet.

1 Like

That’s why getting out of the group was a reasonable objective. Get out of the group and try to park the bus vs. Colombia or Brazil and steal a result.

It’s not like the team fell short because they didn’t win Copa America.

Also … Pulisic is more than a role player in Europe. He was really really good for AC Milan this year. UCL starter, scored 12 goals, whatever you want to call it.

Top 10 squads are definitely deeper with elite talent than this US team though. That’s why getting out of the group has been the goal.v

1 Like

That’s what I said!

1 Like

Pulisic is pretty elite IMO, and you feel a lot better about that after the last 12 months.

I generally think you have to still feel pretty good about the main generation… they are still really coming into their own, are growing into the NT, etc.

I do think its a bit concerning that there isn’t really much of a next wave right now of obvious talent who you would say “pencil that guy into the '26 XI” but maybe that’ll come. Olympics will be interesting.

The XI this tourney was basically the exact same group as the WC, plus Flo (minus Dest injury). Here’s the Netherlands XI from two years ago:

If we are talking about improving the squad for '26… it seems like Reyna needs to go somewhere that he can play and play a lot.

1 Like

Forest was a terrible spot for him to end up. That was the equivalent of an expansion team this season.

I think Adams staying healthy and getting settled with Bournemouth is probably as important.

1 Like

Is it just me or is it bizarre that 1st and 2nd in each Copa group go to the same side of the bracket?

Makes no sense that Brazil and Colombia would meet again in the semis.

I assume that it is just because of timing?? Still makes no sense unless it is to guarantee Argentina makes the final

2 Likes

Yes so if Canada beat Venezuela they would probably face Argentina again. Ecuador isn’t terrible but Argentina’s top guys rested on Saturday.

Columbia ruuuuules

Colombia… I had to say it

1 Like

Ivy League stand up!

1 Like

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1808247679530721588?s=46&t=xsoD7F1QL4iGG_8kXTdpkw

1 Like

You know what the scouting report on Tessman is? Who would he probably replace in our best eleven if he were good enough?

Would likely back up the McKennie role I think. He’s central for sure though.

1 Like

So we might have an alternative to out of shape Wes? That seems like a win