Eron Harris

I was using Ahrens as an example of a type of player, not of who may be at the top of the board.

Oh got it. I’m still hoping for one of the Jalens in this class. It could all be gravy after that.

Oh got it. I'm still hoping for one of the Jalens in this class. It could all be gravy after that.

Agreed. One of the Jalens (Coleman would seem more likely to me at this point) would be enough to make me happy with the class. I also realize now I didn’t stay logically consistent when trying to clarify the two types of guards Michigan would take in 2015, so the confusion is understandable. I meant that I see one being more of a 2/1 combo guard, another being more of a 3, and one spot for a combo forward.

LA… His opinion is based on what HE wants to happen.

AJ Turner just got offer by MSU and is visiting. Makes me feel MUCH better about Harris, Coleman and Davis.

Sam Webb is saying he doesn't think we will pursue because of MAAR and Dawkins. Should be interesting to look back on in a few years.

MSU’s lack of guard depth is starting to worry me with Eron Harris.

From Harris’s quote that you cited earlier, Izzo doesn’t strike me as his “type of coach”; it sounds like Beilein is a better fit. Izzo seems very Huggins-ish, in my opinion, which is why Harris left WVU in the first place. Guard depth or not, I feel good about our chances.

Also, one thing that hasn’t been mentioned on this board yet is that one benefit of having Eron Harris is that you get one of the most efficient shooters in the country hustling in practice everyday for an entire year before Coleman even hits campus. Any experienced and older player that we can get on this freshman-laden team would be a tremendous benefit as well.

AJ Turner just got offer by MSU and is visiting. Makes me feel MUCH better about Harris, Coleman and Davis.

Isn’t Turner more of a forward?

No, turner is a wing

If we can get Eron, It doesn’t matter who we get between Davis and Coleman.

Watching EYBL and footage, I like Davis.

• wiry and long arms so plays bigger than his size, negating his lack of vertical ability. Also would not shock to see him top out at 6’4’’ - 6’5’’
  • Gets good lift on his jumper, good pull-up game and creates space off the bounce
  • Uses tons of ball screens, keeps his head up and has combo guard ability
  • The 1 concern I have with him is his 3 ball.

His jump shot has evolved considerably in the last year. It will only get better under our staffs tutelage. Davis just grows on you as a fan, and perfectly fits the bill of a player that JB loves to develop. Some kids just know how to score, and he’s been doing it all of his young life.

Could Jalen or Davis play the 3?

Say we miss out on Harris could a Thornton Jr- Davis- Coleman lineup work?

Davis is way too small to play 3. He’s even small for 2.

Davis is way too small to play 3. He's even small for 2.

Yep – That’s a really small lineup, don’t see it as a likely outcome.

Any news on Harris? Visits scheduled to MSU or Michigan?

If this happens then the better for us with Coleman, Davis and Harris

Seems like a nice option for MSU. So they are in on Harris, Forbes and who is the third transfer option? Article mentions three transfers for one spot.

“And MSU, Rutgers and others are looking at 6-6 sophomore shooting guard Charles Cooke of James Madison, according to Jerry Carino, who covers college basketball for the Gannett New Jersey newspapers (mycentraljersey.com). Cooke, of Trenton, N.J., averaged 14.3 points last season and would have to sit out the 2014-15 season.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20140421/SPORTS07/304210106/michigan-state-basketball-byron-wesley

Seems like a nice option for MSU. So they are in on Harris, Forbes and who is the third transfer option? Article mentions three transfers for one spot.

Charles Cooke, guard James Madison?

There you go… Hadn’t seen that name. Thanks guys.

Seen Forbes play against Oakland on a couple occasions. He’s pretty much your typical three and D type player, but has an incredible ability to not let players get shots off. I wouldn’t say he’s a lock down defender as you can beat him off the dribble, but he’s about as good as it gets with fighting through screen and not giving up jump shots. Don’t think he’s good enough for B1G basketball, but would definitely be a useful player to throw on on a knock down shooter.

If we potentially land Eron Harris and one of Coleman/Davis, what guard depth we will have for 2015! This versatility will pay dividends with 9 (!!) guards for 3 spots assuming no early NBA departures (Irvin, Albrecht, Walton, Hatch, MAAR, Dawkins, E. Harris, Chatman, +/- Coleman or Davis), or without the PGs, 7 guys who can play the 2 or 3. Coleman or Davis would likely not redshirt either if we take one of them. Granted Chatman and possibly Dawkins may play some good minutes at the 4, but any concern about a potential bottleneck? Either way, that’s a lot of talented guards.