Eli Brooks slump

You would lose DDJ’s microwave ability off the bench. If the offense fails from the get-go, you cant make an adjustment that instantly gives you a new dynamic to jump start the offense. That is the theory at least - I actually subscribe to trying DDJ in the starting line-up (even if just giving him more minutes is the trick)

True but at this point I think they would be better off having him in the starting lineup. Maybe being the “microwave” 6 man off the bench will help kick start Brooks.

Michigan needs lineup solutions at the four right now, don’t see the sense in doing anything in backcourt until Livers returns.

2 Likes

Do you think Franz at the 4 with DDJ, Eli, and Simpson is the best option short term?

It’s an option that needs to be used more often than Colin Castleton or anyone else at the four.

3 Likes

Bottom line someone needs to step up in the absence of Livers. So far, no one has done that. Unfortunately for Brooks he’s in a slump thus the reason everyone is going after him.

2 Likes

It was mentioned above, but I do LOVE that he’s continuing to shoot, unlike previous years where he passed up open looks. He’s better than 1-7, and he knows it. Plus the one he hit at Minny could have been the hero moment if we’d found a way to win the game…I wonder if this thread would even exist (seriously).

I haven’t gotten to the “what is wrong with the defense” thread yet, but I hope someone has discussed just how much worse our numbers would be without Eli’s defense. We lose to Purdue if he’s not out there shadowing Stefanovic, period.

4 Likes

Where y’all at now?

4 Likes

Great to see those shots fall in the first half. PLEASE DO NOT JINX HIM!!!

1 Like

Same place you were when he disappeared for 6 games…

I couldn’t be happier for him. Hope it continues!

3 Likes

Some of us were always here… This game was bound to happen. Hope it gets an elusive road win in the big ten.

1 Like

Today really ought to be a day to celebrate Eli Brooks. I’m not going to say that the Eli we saw last night is the Eli we can expect to see every game for the rest of the year, but he showed last night who he really is. He’s an exceptionally hard worker who plays excellent and tenacious defense. Offensively, yes, he CAN shoot it, and last night he did it very cleverly. I hope last night gives Eli the boost of confidence he needs to play more like this more often. He will ALWAYS play defense with heart, effort, and energy. By the way, he gave that effort for all 40 minutes last night!

Now, I posted this comment reluctantly because I really don’t want to encourage the Eli detractors out there to come on here and debate me on this. There are an abundance of Eli supporters on here, even those of us who kind of went, “Ho Hum” at his performance last night because we see Eli as an important cog on our basketball team, and while we certainly don’t expect this kind of performance every night out we know he is a skilled young man who will always give his all for MICHIGAN and for his teammates and his coaches. As an Eli supporter, as a LONG time fan of Michigan Basketball, and even though I KNEW Eli had this in him, I am so proud of Eli Brooks, as I am of all of our young men, and I celebrate him. I know that there are plenty of others who do, too!

12 Likes

The idea that there is a soul on this board that actually wants Eli to struggle is crazy.

2 Likes

There seems to be one that at least revels in it

2 Likes

Guess the slump is over eh?

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind being able to have the DDJ or Davis conversation without Brooks talk taking over. He’s going to be on the floor in either case.

Ah. Yes. I’m glad that the internet is forever. We don’t get a must-win tonight without Eli. Sorry he won’t ever be Cole Anthony guys, or Zavier Simpson, but I’m glad he wears Maize and Blue–and I’m glad that the experts (not us forum folks) maximize his contributions on the squad. Dude needs to be on the floor.

15 Likes

Players who are so reliant on jump shooting (not a knock on Eli, that’s just his role) are always going to get under-valued when they’re missing shots. And their value will probably get inflated when they get especially hot, tbf.

Today definitely showed that anyone who thought/thinks it’s clear that DDJ should be getting Eli’s share of the minutes may have jumped the gun (though DDJ is in a shooting slump of his own, which relates to my point above)

3 Likes

Eli did SO much more than shoot the basketball tonight.

9 Likes

Great piece on Eli written by BQ over on The Athletic…really a nice sneak peak into Eli’s mentality.
Anyone who knows how, please share the link? Dylan maybe @umhoops?