DeVante Jones withdraws from NBA Draft

Yeah. I am not really against it because I guess I am a diversity sucker. I think there is real merit in being a great violinist or golfer or whatever. Just being really great at something is a huge experience. I am for sure influenced by the memory of a guy I went to grad school with, at a pretty fancy school honestly, who was a starting Defensive End at Nebraska. Cuppa Joe in NFL. He worked his tail off. He was a decent human and sincere. He also had obviously worse academic preparation than me, but way better work habits. What’s more valuable? Who was a better admit? Who was a better grad? Very unclear. I am sure others have similar stories.

9 Likes

Ok, but at Yale, some of the hockey players were shockingly dumb - the nicest guys but close to simpleminded - and plenty of the football guys were also not that bright. A cut above the hockey guys (Yale is top level hockey), but not bright. I had a requirement filling comp sci with mostly football guys. It was the easiest class I’d taken since 8th grade (taught by the comp sci prof the unabomber package bombed). The jocks kept crying about how hard it was. The French Canadian hockey guys were GQ model good looking, very friendly, tumbleweeds between the ears.

So it’s pretty much everywhere.

1 Like

Think you might be reading too much into that statement. Admissions requiring submissions from the applicant. Jones has been occupied with draft stuff.

UM doesn’t take his commitment (removing the chance he might go to another school), shut down considering any other transfer (Jones was the only guy UM made a HARD run at) if there were real concerns about being admitted.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s quite literally everywhere. I didn’t say otherwise. Which is why I laugh when Michigan fans act like it’s everywhere but Michigan. We just have a funny fan base is all.

1 Like

Someday can you share behind the scenes stuff on the Nobel Eastern saga?

I think the differentiator is the question: are these kids expected to go to class and are they getting help to get some level of education while they’re there. I like to think that, in the case of Michigan basketball, the answer is yes.

1 Like

Nothing much to share.
UM wanted him, explained to him what his role would be, he accepted the challenge, but his academic progress while at Purdue made him unacceptable at UM as a transfer.

That’s mostly on Purdue.

4 Likes