DeVante Jones withdraws from NBA Draft

That’s a very carefully worded phrase. And yeah I didn’t realize Givony liked him that much. Seems like basketball minds in general are pretty high on him.

4 Likes

They do. They get a special consideration. I know a couple who were borderline qualifier got into Michigan for the Football team. To say that admission has higher standards always has been false.

1 Like

I guess there is a difference between terrific pace and terrific reads!

3 Likes

Having lived with multiple scholarship athletes while I was attending Michigan, I know that there is a different admission standards for the recruited athletes just as there are different standards to donor legacies. Many universities have different admission stands for different groups as they try to assemble the “ideal” environment to carry out their mission, and I’m not disputing that athletes don’t have heir own category.

What I meant is that admissions has their own mission and fans or even athletic department priorities do not change the admissions office’s need to go through their process. While the tail does occasionally wag the dog, at institutions like Michigan, sports, including revenue sports are a side show to the main focus of the Institution.

Likewise, like any large organizations, different aspects of the institution have their own priorities and focus and will assert their will in what they perceive as their own bailiwick and push back against encroachment from outside their own sphere.

History of college athletics, including Michigan has been a constant shifting of power politics between different departments, administration, faculties, students, donors, etc. and fans.

While in theory everyone has the goal of producing the best outcome for the university, in practice there are wide divergences in how each perceive how to achieve that. One could say that there may even be outright contradictory and conflicting views and actions.

So, clarifying what I wrote before, I highly suspect that the admissions office will follow its own process and do the due dlilgence on a grad transfer student and whether he is a basketball player is somewhat orthogonal to the process beyond the category selection of the process, and outside of occasional professional courtesy between departments when relationships are warm, the time it takes is the time it takes.

7 Likes

Does ‘terrific pace out of pick n roll’ mean he’s fast? Slow? Multiple speeds?

Draft Express quotes are extremely positive and I believe that’s a pretty decent source, but that’s a very twittter quote.

2 Likes

If DeVante is an all-conference player in the Big Ten (conservatively), this will be a top 2 team in the country if Dickinson returns.

3 Likes

Glad to have Devonte’ officially in the fold. Come on Hunter there’s 2 days left. Why don’t YOU make it official also? :wink:

6 Likes

Wow I missed that sentence. Yeah if he’s as good as Givony thinks then this team is a mortal lock to be a 1 seed

2 Likes

All Conference caliber but he didn’t specify which one. :wink:

4 Likes

“As much as we’d like to ignore it, the notion that all revenue sport athletes would be admitted to Michigan under non athlete circumstances is very wrong. Even non-revenue.” CursedBlue

This was some time ago, but my son, who wasn’t a particularly good student in high school but was an exceptional high school and junior golfer, was being recruited by Jim Caras, then Michigan’s golf coach, to play for Michigan. When my son said, “Coach, I couldn’t get in to Michigan,” Caras told him he could get him in. Now, whether Coach Caras could have gotten him in or not we’ll never know because my son ended up signing with Ole Miss, but…just sayin’!

3 Likes

There are gifted students in many areas of the arts who are accepted to all universities. A valid part of the educational mission is to develop potential and elevate society on all fronts. It is done on a larger scale in athletics, but it is far form unique.

2 Likes

I would like to hear more about that “terrific pace operating out of pick and roll”. DeVante in the Pick and Roll seems to be one of the bigger swing skills for the season. Would love to know more about what exactly Givony is referring to here.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I’m so happy Devante is coming back to play for Michigan. I’m very excited to see what he has in store for us.
But a part of me was hoping (even though we may be less of a contender) that my favorite player in a while would start. And that is Frankie! I think he will be special, and I don’t want a year of playing behind someone else and then Dug to ever make him want to transfer. Obviously, if he is good enough he will play, but I want to see that happen at Michigan

2 Likes

Jones will wear #12 according to his Instagram

5 Likes

It’s hard to imagine, but it’s going to be easy to watch

1 Like

It’s happened before when Eli was a frosh and Jaaron Simmons was the transfer and X eventually was the permanent starter.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There’s a reason Harvard’s sailing coach or squash or whatever was able to buy a $2 million house and people were being arraigned. It has something to do with preferential admissions for athletes, I think.

3 Likes

I agree. If the coach could have gotten my son into Michigan then it’s definitely a thing even if it is rather clandestine and not something the admissions office would ever talk about out in the open!

Oh, and I talked to my son about it today. He said “Dad, Coach Caras didn’t say he COULD get me in, he said IF I could get you in, would you come?” So, my son’s case doesn’t really offer proof, but the fact that Coach Caras asked the question seems to suggest that he, perhaps, could get him in which would then seem to further suggest that “preferential admissions for athletes” very possibly IS a thing. Of course, he WAS a golfer so, of course, one would expect preferential treatment because the university makes so much money from the golf program! :wink: :rofl: But, WAIT! Should that matter??? Hmmm…

5 Likes

I don’t know why this is even up for debate. Vince Young went to UT Austin and could barely speak a legible sentence while playing there. Athletes get preferential treatment, it’s pretty simple.

4 Likes

Yes, I believe it is, though everything I said, frankly, was true. By the way, the athlete named in my story went on to get a PhD and spent many years teaching graduate level students. He definitely could speak a legible sentence but he really couldn’t have gotten into Michigan at the time, and it wouldn’t have been close. As I am sure we all know Michigan’s undergraduate admissions policy is incredibly competitive! I’m sure is it fairly selective for athletes, too, more so than many (most) schools, but I’m pretty sure it’s not nearly as tough as it is for non athlete applicants! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes