DeVante’ Jones declares for NBA Draft

You think he stays, if a starting PG is brought in? Jones wasn’t “instant impact”, in case you missed the 1st half of the season.

Who knows if that guy exists. If the right PG is in the portal, I don’t see how Frankie Collins should be a reason not to pursue given what we know.

3 Likes

Depends who they’re looking to add. If you think Sessoms is worth it, you’d be making a mistake.

I don’t think he is even though I honestly think he might be better than Frankie next year. But we’re a far ways away from knowing who’s going into the portal. Not saying he would, but if someone like Isaiah Stevens pops up? Not sure I’m banking on Frankie over pursuing that guy.

Nobody in the portal excites me right now as a transfer option, but Frankie did not show he has unquestionably deserved the PG spot. He was worse than Tum Tum on offense this year.

3 Likes

agreed, why start over with a grad transfer who doesn’t know the system when you have collins who’s had a good amount of time in said system

1 Like

Because the grad transfer might be a better basketball player in his current state. How much time has Johns had in the system? That’s not something that you put importance on over ability. Especially one year of it. It’s something you might give a nod to if two players are close. You don’t want to go into a season with a massive question mark if possible.

That said, have any of the three grad transfers had any issues with the system? Jones had a slow start, sure, but it wasn’t exactly like he was lost on the court. He just… wasn’t playing well.

2 Likes

johns and collins are too totally different players.

1 Like

Should I give you the rolling on the floor laughing emoji, Bozo?

Point being system time is not close to a reason you say no to a better player for Frankie Collins if one is available.

1 Like

Like yeah, totally.

Yeah, no, Jones’ at his lowest was not better than Frankie. Jones turned over the ball for 3-4 straight possessions against Indiana which led to the monumental collapse. Listen, I love Jones and what he did for us but some of you go way too far with the Frankie criticism.

5 Likes

I was referring to the start of the season when Jones was struggling - it was clear Frankie was not the answer, even when people were going crazy about his relatively meh game against SDSU. Collins was also the PG that Indiana started their run against, so it’s not like he was an answer there either.

3 Likes

I have never seen a single game performance change people’s views on a player more than Frankie Collins against Colorado State.

He had an 82.7(!!) ORtg on the year. 75.2(!!!) in conference play!

Imagine MSU’s only returning point guard having the numbers and season that Collins did. Imagine the joy we’d have and the mocking comments we’d make towards Izzo if he ignored the portal in that situation.

3 Likes

We’ll see how Juwan plays this.

1 Like

If there are good players out there I’m not going to lose sleep about what Frankie chooses to do. The error bars on a projection are wide, sure, but I don’t know why you’d expect him to be an average B1G starter.

5 Likes

Basically what Hoggard did as a freshman. Even if he was Hoggard next year, I’m not sure Michigan is going anywhere with that unless they get some transfers or others step way up.

1 Like

If Michigan got someone that allowed Collins to split 40/60-50/50 like Walker and Hoggard then I’d be pretty pleased. Not sure what transfers are going to be ecstatic walking into that though.

He was there for how long before Jones was put in, 2 minutes? Just because he was on the floor doesn’t mean he contributed significantly to the run.

That’s how bad Jones was at the beginning of the season.

He. was. a. freshman. point. guard. Being thrust on to the biggest stage of his career…and he led us to the sweet 16. That’s a literal fact. I’m not saying he’s ready to lead this team next year but he’s got strengths that could make him a viable starter for a decent team.

4 Likes

Again, I’ve never seen a single game sway people this much. Regardless of stage. I applaud him for stepping up when he did. He played great D against Tennessee too. It was great. It’s not something you completely change your roster building because of.

1 Like

So, you want to promise them a starting gig?