DeVante’ Jones declares for NBA Draft

His usage was very very low.

1 Like

DeVante is going to take his shot. Best of wishes to him. You have to give him credit for how he turned his season around and the Wolverine’s season with it. He was our #3 star behind Hunter and Eli.
I will always remember him as the guy who spent more time on the floor than Chet Holmgren.

You mean Michigan fans outside of UMHoops right? We are all super rational and level headed and only have the best takes.

Seriously though, DJ wasn’t very good to start the year but once he got comfortable, he became the reason we made the tournament. I know there were concerns about him being able to play out of the ball screen and its great to look back and see his growth and continue the streak of great point guards.

10 Likes

I have to admit that after the first two weeks of the year I was hinting at playing the young guys to get ready for next year. Of course Juwan knew better than I what to do and how to proceed.

1 Like

That’s fair, I also think it takes time for a fan base to separate expectations from a freshman PG to a 5th year PG without expecting any growing pains while fitting into an entirely new team.

After Smith and Jones, I think the next transfer in will get a bit longer leash instead of expecting a completely finished product that fits right in like he has been here for years.

1 Like

pallets get picky when it went burke, walton, X… some high expectation from those experiences

1 Like

There was plenty of criticism of Walton and X.

4 Likes

Indeed some people wanted X benched as a senior

3 Likes

Ahahahaha I forgot about the ‘DDJ should be starting’ people

2 Likes

Devante settled into his role and became a huge cog in the team to take us to the Tourney. We would not have been where we were without him. Had he not been fallen on in the game against Nova who knows what happens there. He played well for most of the year and was a great player in a long line of Michigan PGs which definitely seem to be important in our program’s long term success.

2 Likes

Not having a foul called on Dixon there, Devante getting banged up again and Nova receiving the ball, was a huge momentum changer/killer. Terrible no call.

3 Likes

Well, at least Juwan won’t be bringing in another transfer to start at PG. Time to give Frankie the starting reins.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. They have already made contact with a couple in some form or another.

1 Like

This is the tough part because we have so few spots and other pressing needs. I think combo guard (who can sometimes play PG) is the top priority but Frankie and Dug will get plenty of time.

6 Likes

Agreed. Frankie looked really good at times. With him and Dug, hoped they aren’t recruited over. But we do still need another Brooks or two. Hoped Bufkin would be one of those guys. Time will tell I guess.

Not to bring it down, but if y’all are trusting Collins with the reins next year because of a two game tourney stretch (one of which he was mostly praised offensively for not doing anything crazy) you have more faith than me. We might be forced to simply because wing and center are bigger issues depending on departures, but man… I wouldn’t be comfortable at all heading into the season.

4 Likes

If Frankie gets recruited over, he’s gone. If you’re fine with that, you’re sadly mistaken. We had to put up with Jones terrible first part of the season and it wasn’t just his PG play(D was just as bad), before we were rewarded over the 2nd half of the season. I’m fine, with giving Frankie and Dug plenty of minutes, to get the desired results of experience, later in the season.

7 Likes

Jones had some track record of being a good player in college, even if it was at a lower level. He was also clearly the best option even at his lowest compared to Frankie to start. It’s possible Frankie develops into something, and maybe he does it next year, but as of now, he’s a PG who shot under 20% from 3, under 50% from the line, and had a turnover rate of 28.5%. That is not workable for a program with Michigan’s hopes.

A good overall game against a Mountain West team and then a good defensive game (where he was a black hole on offense) against Tennessee doesn’t suddenly erase all of the concerns that existed throughout the year. Michigan is taking a huge risk at the most important spot if they go into next year with Frankie and Dug, and that doesn’t seem unfair to point out.

3 Likes

You’re lucky you got that sit down with Collins to discuss his future plans. I wish I was there.

You don’t build rosters off of fear of guys leaving. If there’s a spot for a likely instant impact transfer like Jones or Smith, you take him. If Collins leaves, that’s on him.

3 Likes

As stated above, that’s why you look at a combo guard, adept at playing PG, when needed.

1 Like