Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Weaver and Monty (plus Arn and Ed) are the biggest problems.

1 Like

Weaver is a problem because outside the draft he hasn’t shown the ability to build a roster effectively either via FA, trading away assets, or acquiring assets.

But it is hard not to be REALLY down on Monty. He took over a team that was bad but showing some interesting potential and has set it on fire to the point where it is the laughing stock of the NBA and on pace to set the all-time record for futility. We know the Lions and Tigers are in the history books for futility, maybe they just really wanted the Pistons to be there too. Or maybe we had to trade the Pistons making progress so the Lions could be relevant similar to what’s happened with Michigan basketball and football. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tying the consecutive loss record :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Dwayne Casey took a worse roster and won some games plus had his players playing hard even when the season was over. For Monty, the players looked like they quit on him. That is a bad sign.

They finished last year 2-22. They’re amazingly consistent!

One thing that really disappoints me is that they don’t have anyone step up in crunch time.

During the losing streak, more than half of the losses have come when we were either leading (8 games) or within 5 either going into the 4th or later:

12/11: Down 5 to the Pacers at the 7:03 mark.
12/6: Latest lead vs. the Griz: Up 2 with 11:25 to go.
12/2: Down 5 to the Cavs with 2:40 to go.
11/30 Up 1 on the Knicks with 9 minutes to go. Within 5 at the 2:20 mark.
11/24 Up 2 vs. the Pacers with 8:35 to go. Within 5 at the 6:04 mark.
11/20 Nuggets: Up 5 at the 9:19 mark. Latest lead at the 2:30 mark. Lost by 4.
11/17 Cavs: Within 5 at the 9:47 mark.
11/14 Hawks: Up 1 with 1:40 to go. Lost by 6.
11/12 Bulls: within 4 at the 5:03 mark.
11/8 Bucks: Up 7 to start the 4th. Latest lead at 1:13. Lost by 2.
11/6 Warriors: Up 5 with 9:05 to go. Latest lead at 7:47 to go.
11/1 Blazers: Up 6 with 8:22 to go. Latest lead at 6:52. Tied with 3:24 left. Lost by 9.

Just outside that was 11/10 76ers. Down 6 in the 4th. Still only two possessions.

If they had won only half of these games…I’d still be feeling down but not nearly as bad.

Not to make you feel worse

But their franchise player was also out and the franchise had steered into the tank

I still insist that the worst thing going on this year, given how well he played the last 40 games or so, is Jaden Ivey’s marginalization

5 Likes

Sticking Jaden into the corner is a gross misuse of his talent. Monty should be shot into the sun

1 Like

This is a good watch and talked a lot about Ausar Thompson in this clip. 14.8% (15.8%) from 3 pt is beyond suboptimal. They mentioned that the Pistons has the worst roster construction in the league and it’s not surprising considering that none of the pieces fit well and they said they should consider moving Cade off the ball. If they’re going to do it, then they should try to play Jaden at lead guard then go from there, but Monty hates Jaden.

In the modern NBA, you need probably 4 competent 3 point shooters on the floor (not arguing for 4 snipers, but 4 guys who will be guarded). So is it possible to play a lineup where your wing can’t make them? Sure, but you need to find a 5 who can. It’s doable, if your wing is good enough at other stuff to make it worth it (TBD with Thompson) it’s fine.

Was that shot into the sun part intentional

I’ve been wanting to see Ausar at the 5 for a while now just to see what it’s like. But there’s no way Monty employs any form of creativity in his brain.

I wouldn’t mind him playing the 4 pair with a 5 who can space. Theoretically, you can do it with Cade, Ivey, Bogey, Ausar and Beef, but that won’t happen with Monty.

There were also rumors of teams calling Weaver for Ivey last year, but Weaver rebuffed the trade talk. Wonder if the interests remains for Ivey.

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1736763298782040315?s=46&t=zWP_jhKwEyS4iClKYT0_gg

I’ve been big on them staggering Duran and Ausar’s minutes. Pairing Ausar with Stew at the 5. And more of Bogey and Livers with Duren.

Ausar/Stew looked good together offensively. But they switched too much on defense and they got killed on the glass whenever Stewart was on a guard.

It makes too much sense that Monty won’t do it!

too logical for this franchise

More passion in this commentary than on the whole damn roster:

Maybe mgl dropped this already but Duncan & Hollinger had the Pistons as their worst franchise in the NBA in their organization rankings. Basically tied w the Hornets but they’re getting a bit of an incomplete now that ownership is flipping over. Hadn’t realized the extent to which the Monty hire was a product of Gores-Weaver-Tellem basically being totally incapable of coming to a consensus that then resulted in the creation of a 4th party with a ton of leverage and influence in the room. Truly spectacular lack of leadership there, yeesh.

Bulls and Wizards the 2 ahead of them. Bulls commentary was basically just “LOL Vucevic 3 years $20M AAV”.

I think the Bulls have the only owner worse than Gores (at least Gores pays money?), but has made very marginally better hiring decisions

Like Billy Donovan doesn’t leave me the impression I can make a better rotation