Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Livers, Franz, Mo, Jett and Houston all played in that game. Houstan actually played quite a bit.

Putting my marker down

I think the Pistons win today

The funny thing about sports “journalism” is that everything has an agenda. I believe Edwards’ criticism has only been of Monty so far, and not Weaver. Which matches up since his sources are 100% in the FO and Monty was not Weaver’s first choice. Getting in early on the media narrative to push blame to Monty and spare Weaver

Not to get too meta, but this is a feature of journalism generally. It’s hard to have value and produce information beyond the surface without access, and so you need to work in a way that maintains access. Far more weighty than sports, it’s how you get unreported things like:

John F. Kennedy’s rampant drug use
Ronald Reagan’s Alzheimer’s
Woodrow Wilson being incapacitated by a stroke for two years
Off the top of my head

To get REALLY meta, a key plank of Chomsky’s “Manufacturing Consent” would say that what James Edwards III does is mostly immaterial because if he did the job differently he wouldn’t have it, and would be replaced with someone who does it the way he does now.

More charitably: these are human beings (Edwards and Weaver) and if Weaver does not speak to Edwards, Edwards cannot perform his job. They also see an talk to each other and I’m sure have opinions of one another. There are plenty of people (like me!) to write a screed about Weaver, but Edwards utility very well goes away the moment he calls him “Troy (Cleveland) Steamer” (best I could come up with on short notice)

Anyway sorry for all this

3 Likes

no it wasn’t - it was based on me reading edwards’ article that day (Pistons need more Jaden Ivey and tightened rotation to end losing skid - The Athletic)

Ahh, there was a post from Sam in there that seemed to be driving the convo.

I will go back to completely ignoring this thread and never chime in again.

Oh I was going to say something then but then forgot about the chat filter.

Little known fact: Chomsky almost called it ``Manufacturing Ticket and Jersey Sales’'.

The scary thing honestly is that people like Edwards won’t ever know what it’s like to have a bit of leverage, work the phones, and develop sources, but at least at the moment they are edited by people who remember that and retain a sense of the possibilities. It won’t be that way for much longer.

Then again we are reaping no benefits from having mentors/editors who know that stuff. Right now’s a time when the organization can be expected to be its most leaky version of itself, but Edwards is too busy whining on twitter that people don’t understand his job. Spend all that time working sources and writing something that’s ultimately fair and with depth and that could be a net gain in credibility for him. That’s how you have to do it these days – be smart enough that you don’t need them and that they have to talk to you if they want their voices reflected in your coverage.

1 Like

They don’t play today. So, at least no loss!

4 Likes

I went to the game. Wasn’t embarrassing is the best I can muster.

4 Likes

This one setting up to be maximally stupid. Can’t wait.

Their good games now are when they’re in the game for 3.5 quarters, so this was a good game.

1 Like

You know AKME will let this spate of ok play convince them to not break it up

1 Like

https://x.com/sam_vecenie/status/1734463688697139328?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

1 Like

The fact it took him this long to realize it is concerning.

I’m going to assume he’s not actually a complete basketball moron, he’s just playing one in the press conferences. As skeptical as I have always been at his ranking as a serious asset as a coach.

1 Like

Hopefully, the “we” is referring to the players, and he’s saying that his coaching is starting to sink in with the players. That’s not much better, but slightly. Maybe?

2 Likes

Pistons are a sorry franchise :confused:

I’m honestly convinced that as dire as this franchise is from top to bottom (everyone from the owner down to the custodian needs to be gone), Monty is the biggest problem. There’s no way you can evaluate anyone on this roster when you have a coach who is as intensely hard headed and incompetend as he is. You can’t tell me a worse team didn’t look twice as promising under Dwayne Casey. The guy is a mult-pronged cudgel of bad decisions.

2 Likes