Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

4 Likes

Frowning about a Michigan-raised journalist who covers basketball yet doesn’t know that Glen Rice is a One N Glen.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1710001552608449006

Let’s go!

I’m just glad they have an option if Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey and Monte Morris and Alec Burks and Marcus Sasser and maybe Ausar Thompson can’t go

2 Likes

This thread … :skull:

1 Like

Was literally just reading that and about to download the podcast he referenced with JJ and Mazzula.

…defensive fg% is analytics?

Everything he says in the video is wildly disconnected from what analytics should be at that level. Cory’s thread does a great job of outlining why.

The amazing thing here is that what he’s saying is almost precisely what Joe Morgan said about baseball analytics decades ago (and sparked the semi-famous site)

It’s not that different than “numbers made up by computers”

Regarding Cory’s last tweet, this is a front office that has shown both explicit and implicit disregard for “jump shooting” and just hired a coach who drove Devin Booker and Kevin Durant to absurd long-two shot profiles at the expense of threes

1 Like

kind of crazy that the guy writing that site ended up being one of the most significant cultural forces in American life in the 21st century. if he’d spent any longer on that site, we might literally not have Michigan sports on peacock!!

1 Like

Yeah, a good friend of mine was an extremely minor contributor there, he was college friends with them - they’re all tv writers, another guy from that site was the creator of the Asiz Ansari show Master of None

2 Likes

the volume of screenwriting-adjacent folks on this forum continues to surprise

3 Likes

Lol

There is a one episode character on Parks and Rec (a maintenance guy I think) named for me.

2 Likes

I had an agent in LA shop a feature-length screenplay I wrote. However, nothing came of it. This was more than 10 years ago.

Durant played in Phoenix exactly the way he played in Brooklyn. I’m not sure that’s on Monty Williams.

Good thing i didnt limit it to Durant then

I think running a 1994 shot profile in 2023 isn’t awesome

Granted it’s what Paul and Durant want to do but maybe also why they aren’t the coach

Don’t know. Booker is pretty clearly not a huge volume three guy. I don’t know what’s going through Durant’s head but I just know what he does. Whenever Paul was out there with Ayton it was P/R as a first option.

Hey now this is the coolest thing I’ve ever heard

1 Like

Booker shoots 1.8 fewer threes a game per 36 post Monty than pre

There is definitely a scheme component. About 1.5 less than in college.

Monty did lots right in Phoenix, and I won’t take that away. I think his apathy about long range shooting combined with Weavers occasionally spoken hostility to it (and the presence of 1 to 2 plus shooters for their position on the roster) should be concerning if you care

By the way- I’ll be running my annual Over/Under Contest.

2 Likes

I’m definitely concerned about shooting. Ausar was a huge risk. But I don’t find the clip or the responses to it compelling, even if I do definitely hope that Monty has someone to tell him what the big data say about this kind of shot or that. I thought the trust comment was also interesting.

But ultimately what the coach was saying is not a wholesale rejection of data but rather a very common complaint about numbers and how some people use them, and those guys had no answer for that even though the original post alludes to that trust issue.

I would have found a data-driven response to his comments (rather than an emotion-generated assumption) better. Show your point not by whining on Twitter but by using data to disprove/understand/explain Monty’s assertion about getting your defense back and set more often because you take more efficient twos. The speed at which these particular guys abandoned their tool and just skipped to whining was notably fast.