Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Do you guys think Monty is actually going to have Ivey on the bench to start the season?

This idea of a Cade/Thompson/Bogie/Stewart/Duren starting five suggests…he is not appropriately attuned to the value of shooting. Not that Ivey is a plus shooter, but the drop from him to Thompson is cavernous. It really seems like the way to work Thompson in (if that’s what you want to do) would be to play Cade-Ivey-Thompson-Bogie-Duren. I don’t think I’m nuts when I say that the Pistons future over this cycle of building will be determined largely by how the Cade/Ivey/Thompson/Duren foursome meshes, and secondarily, how those four develop individually (ie, if they don’t mesh, the one(s) that haven’t have displayed enough promise you can reasonably flip them for a better fit)

1 Like

I think it had more to do with Monte Morris being out and having someone to run the second unit.

I think there are a lot of questions unanswered. I don’t think Ivey coming off the bench is terrible. I guess my question is what roles do Hayes/Burks/Harris have. Monte is backup PG, Ivey gets minutes but the other 3?

Pistons are still really young and in regard to analytics its a good tool for coaches but unless the organization isn’t all in it doesn’t matter what Monty thinks.

My Pistons hot take is that Ausar will be able to shoot from distance quicker than people expect. Let’s say 33% on low volume this season.

1 Like

That’s not what Monty said, but hey. Also - Hayes is still around.

I think Ausar will become a good enough shooter you can play him. I don’t think it’s this year.

I simultaneously am terrified/disgusted at the shooting of a Cade/Ausar/Bogey/Stew/Duren lineup while also loving the message being sent to Ivey (who I still have serious concerns over defensively effort-wise)

I’m willing to let it play out, especially because it means Ausar starting day one (he’s going to be awesome - he does literally everything except shoot well and in his first game he banged a game tying three)

2 Likes

I really like the idea of a Cade-Ivey-Ausar-Bogey-Duren lineup. Ausar and Duren are enough for rebounding and potential shot blocking and the offense Bojan brings is a massive upgrade to Stewart. I like Stew, but teams will clearly be fine to let him shoot 3s and I don’t want that to be primary offense. If teams are abusing Bojan at the 4, then make an early switch to bring in Stew for somebody, but otherwise try to get the offense cooking and create a little more space for the ball handlers.

The big flaw here obviously is that the Pistons have 3 plus shooters for their position (I’m assuming Cade, who has not been, will be) and one of those two very well may not play (Harris)

I’m not sure what you consider plus shooters, but Monte Morris (39.2%) and Alec Burks (38.4%, but 40%+ the last 4 seasons) are above league average for their positions too.

Shooters (Bojan, Harris, Morris, Burks)
Theoretical shooters (Livers, Sasser)

If that’s what it is that’s great. A starting role is a very valuable carrot to hang in front of the nose of a young player who needs to learn some of that stuff.

2 Likes

Morris is a catch and open shooter. He is efficient but takes few

I would not call him a plus shooter for a PG at all. Burks volume is better but still pretty low? He’s probably average for a 2 guard if you meld shooting and volume?

EDIT: I will grant Burks, better volume than I thought. Morris still a no.

While there were no Spartans playing in last night’s Pistons/Thunder game, that didn’t stop Blaha from a couple of MSU shout-outs.

He’s still a classic, but that area of his broadcasts gets a little tired.

2 Likes
2 Likes

This is a superstar

2 Likes

I cannot stand him. Have always loved the Pistons and hate Bla Bla

1 Like

Wow. I think he’s the Pistons’ Ernie Harwell. I think he’s great, despite his Sparty love and slowly diminishing skills.

He’s been calling Pistons games for nearly 50 years and has his own style, which I think has added to watching the broadcasts. He’s not an outright homer, like Johnny Most was, but leans a little towards Detroit, which I think is what you want in a PBP calling games for “your” team.

He’ll probably be hanging up the mic within the next few years and I think it’ll be a tough search to replace him.

4 Likes

Yeah, I know most Pistons fans love him. I think for me, I was a Michigan fan first and really didn’t follow the Pistons as a kid so I just thought of him as the ridiculous Sparty homer. So that probably colors my perception.

I don’t understand why Monty started Killian at SG over Ivey. What did Ivey do to him?

4-8 from 3 so far. Shot looks fine. He’ll eventually shoot well enough to have to respect it.

1 Like