Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith commits to Michigan

I would hope that Johns can get more than 15 minutes a game and not all at the 5.

2 Likes

I agree with most, good pickup, esp for offense. But man is he small, hope itā€™s not a defensive liability. Only way dude is 5ā€™11 is if you count his hair.

Are there any former M players that Smith reminds you of?

Pooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr mans trey burke hahaha

2 Likes

Even with livers back and todd coming I think johns is going to break out and his minutes will reflect that. The kid can hoop and Iā€™m confident he is going to get it together mentally and confidence wise and be an absolute terror as a junior and senior.

I think they find a way to get him 25, my guess is mostly at center.

1 Like

After watching his film for a second and third time following the commitment, Iā€™m actually pretty high on this pick up. Iā€™ve been one of Eliā€™s biggest cheerleaders on here for the last coule years but I actually think theres a chance Smith wins the starting pg job if Christopher comes (assuming he starts if he signs).

I really think Smithā€™s offensive game is going to translate. Is he going to average 22? of course not but I think if you watch his film a lot of the buckets and looks he creates will translate against elite athletes as well. He has some great handle and he actually looks like hes very quick. Elite level quickness? No, but pretty damn quick and fluid with the ball. He also has an array of step backs, pull ups and floaters that will translate even against better defenders.

Now Iā€™d still say Eli probably starts as he is will only improve on offense and he was a nice offensive player last year and he is an extremely good defender which will be of great importance in a projected lineup of

:PG
josh
franz
livers or todd or johns
Johns or ausin or colin

So Eli will still probably makes the most sense as that d will be needed but man Smithā€™s handle, passing and offensive skill set is nice and Eliā€™s loose handles can be nerve racking as the projected pg.

3 Likes

So whereā€™s Sparty at in their quest for a Winston replacement? Grad-transfer market is pretty picked over at this point, it seems.

2 Likes

They seem to have all their eggs in the Karim Mane basket.

I think you mean Hunter as a five not Colin who is transfering haha.

1 Like

Karim Mane and Amauri Hardy as of now. Lots of time for more grad transfers and transfers seeking waivers to still pop up though.

Mane is going to end up at Marquette, no? Hardy is a nice player. I hope he goes elsewhere too.

1 Like

Marquetteā€™s the favorite but MSU is still heavily in the mix. It sounds like Mane was waiting to decide until visiting MSU and maybe a couple other places. With the shtudown he hasnā€™t been able to visit, but is still waiting to decide in hopes that he can. That implies to me that MSU is still a major factor. That being said, the longer everything is shut down and the longer Mane canā€™t visit, eventually heā€™ll have to decide, so the longer he canā€™t visit MSU the more that hurts them.

1 Like

Iā€™m pumped for Smith. Encouraging to see big games out of him, especially vs Wake Forest and their senior pg Brandon Childress, who is pretty tough. They guarded each other most the game.

Smith: 23/7/5
Childress: 11/2/6

Caveats:
Is Childress a good defender?
Columbia was up 4 with 40 seconds left and blew it, lost by 2.

2 Likes

I want M to beat MSU every time, but isnā€™t it better to have more talent come to the Big Ten, even if some of it goes to MSU? A stronger Big Ten is good for Michigan. I guess what I am saying is I would rather see Mane at MSU than Marquette. I have a lot of confidence in our talent and coaching this year. MSU may be the league favorite if they get both Mane and Hardy, but I still like our chances.

Hard disagree. MSU will be fine either way, but I donā€™t ever want them to be too good

25 Likes

Lol, yes. Iā€™m a mess. Per usual. Sorry hunter. Funny too cause Iā€™m very high on hunter and think he can end up being a guy who find his name next to teske on the all times wins list. Kid is special.

I just realized Smith was wearing #21 on the U of M jersey in his commitment picture. That number belongs to Franz right now.

Itā€™s kind of funny how often this happens when somebody makes a graphic. At least in this case, that was his number at Columbia.

2 Likes

Heeeelllllllllllllll no.

1 Like

Iā€™m okay with MSU going back to the era between Magic and Mateen, where theyā€™re decent and might make a Sweet 16 every once in a while but are clearly behind Michigan.

6 Likes