Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith commits to Michigan

The best part of the article about his relationship with Jimmy Butler is the revelation that Jimmy Butler drives a minivan.

6 Likes

I am very happy we now have a solid backup PG that has played 4 YEARS, is known for his handle and FT shooting, and should be confident the minute he steps on Crisler hardwood, game or practice. Immediate upgrade over 2019-2020 Nunez, especially during end-of-game pressure (still hoping Nunez improves greatly under Howard, especially on D). His floor is reliable, and with less volume and others to relieve pressure, his ceiling may be a ā€˜next best fitā€™ for our team. GoBlue!

3 Likes

Feeling good about this after learning more about him.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that played a part but the step up in competition is probably more challenging than the change in system.

1 Like

You hit the keys there - solid floor, solid open shooter, very good ball-handler at worst (for a team lacking them), and potential upside as a late-clock emergency.

After reading the article Dylan shared there is no doubt in my mind that Smith believes he can come in and start. If Christopher comes then I believe Eli will start next to Josh, as I think most of us do, but I think Mike Smith oozes confidence. It sounds like he has the Jimmy Butler work ethic, and, if there are those who donā€™t think he will/can start he will take that as a personal challenge just as he has always taken the ā€œsizeā€ thing as a challenge. Having said that, I believe he will be an excellent teammate who will love playing for Juwan and who will put the team first. He sounds like a really smart, high character young man! Iā€™m pretty excited with this addition.

8 Likes

Man I hope Zeb can play some point guard.

Itā€™s a WHOLE different game when youā€™re no longer dominating the ball at monster usage numbers.

1 Like

I hope he does think he can start and I hope his game translates enough that he can fill a major rotation role whether he starts or not. Even if Eli and Chrisopher are both on the roster and playing 30mpg thereā€™s an opening for 20mpg and ball handling. Iā€™m excited for Zebā€™s future and I hope he gets a few minutes from time to time next season, but heā€™s not even playing for his loaded HS team so I donā€™t expect him to be ready for a meaningful role. Give me a 4-year D-1 player whoā€™s had to do everything for his team that is a natural PG. Iā€™m most excited that heā€™ll keep defenses honest with his shot, be a great ball handler (Eli is just okay), and look to set up teammates (Eli hasnā€™t done much of that).

3 Likes

Please do a 20 thoughts post

7 Likes

I love his pull up jumper. That shot reminds me of Spike Albrecht. Quick release; just needs a smidgen of space, and he is very adept about creating the space. Really impressive. This guy can score. Heā€™s like Spike, but quicker :slight_smile: also two good hips.

7 Likes

I hope he helps lead us to a BIG Championship and a Final Four, but I realistically expect a good role player that plays 10 to 20 situational minutes a game.

2 Likes

With how many good players we should have on roster itā€™s not inconceivable to think Smith can be a player who helps lead us to championships while only playing 10-20 mins a game.

2 Likes

Availability has always been Aikenā€™s biggest problem. Canā€™t help, if you can;t stay healthy.

I like that comparable - even if heā€™s more athletic than Spike. The comparable is nice because of the role Spike played. Iā€™ve watched a few of the classic games these past few weeks and you can see the role - 15-25mpg, shoot 37-40% from three, limit the 2pt attempts, distribute, etc.

A lot of dominoes left to fall (Livers, Todd, Christopher) but if all three are on the team next year then I think the 9-man rotation is set. Obviously all of this changes daily at this point, but I like the idea of this rotation:
- PG: EB (20), MS (20)
- SG: JC (30), EB (10)
- SF: FW (30), IL (10)
- PF: IL (20), IT (20)
- C: BJ (15), HD (15), AD (10)
- BN (<7mpg): ZJ, TW, CB, AN

4 Likes

With the assumption that those three guys at center will change game-to-game based on fouls, match-ups, performance, etc. None of them are likely to play more than 20 minutes or less than 10.

You forgot Jace Howard.

looks good, still holding out hope bajema can find 10-15 mins and maybe we dont need to play brooks 30 mins a night

2 Likes

I didnā€™t forget him, I just summarized the 13 guys on scholarship. I think we will see Jace play later in his career, but not for a while.

1 Like

I agree. I think the team is going to need shooting and I am optimistic he will be able to do that. To me heā€™s insurance at the 2 and 3ā€¦but hard to project him to take minutes from anyone on that list. I would like to see him get the PT that Nunez got this year and see if he can take more advantage of those few minutes.

2 Likes

You may be surprised. Wonā€™t probably be in the regular rotation though. You are correct on that.