Columbia grad transfer Mike Smith commits to Michigan

8 Likes

Happy to answer any questions here… might also do a 20 Thoughts type piece on him as I watch more film.

4 Likes

For next year alone do you think he is a roster upgrade from DDJ?

I like his catch and shoot numbers a lot. Though thats far from the focal point of his game, do you think that could be end up being a way Michigan uses him at times, something we didn’t see with Z?

Good vision. But DDJ looks like a far superior athlete. Not sure how effective Smith will be against Big Ten defenses. Hopefully he brings good shooting/passing, and leadership/chemistry to help fill the void left by X.

Was wondering if you think he’ll be a key piece in next years natty run

1 Like

Would a Carsen Edwards Lite be a good comparison for Mike Smith you think?

1 Like

This is the kind of guy who will drop 50 in a PBL game five years from now and become a great piece of bar trivia

1 Like

How many point guards on Michigan’s roster for next season are better than Foster Loyer?

11 Likes

IMO- Smith is a better fit for what we need than DDJ. Smith has better true PG skills.

3 Likes

Well, first and foremost he wants to be on the roster. So that helps. DeJulius has the higher ceiling but never seemed comfortable with his role or the role that Michigan wanted for him.

Smith is also going to have to adjust to a different role but presumably more open to it.

4 Likes

To an extent, yes. But it can be hard to get catch and shoot looks for “5-11” players. Should get some looks off of flare screens, etc.

1 Like

Not sure about that but Smith is definitely a better fit than Aiken even if Aiken is more talented overall.

1 Like

Mike Smith is another piece to the roster puzzle with one last piece to complete. Only 3 days left till April 13 guys. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t really see that comp. Smith is a real point guard, Edwards was a small off guard.

I don’t really see a big difference between the two in terms of fit. Both are small point guards who do a good job creating space to shoot. Aiken has more range, played on better teams and more potential defensively.

Not surprised by the catch and shoot number, stroke is super pure. If he embraces the role I hope we see from him, facilitator whose shots primarily come from catch and shoot threes I think he can be a 40%+ 3pt shooter.

1 Like

If nothing else, getting another ball handler that will shoot 80+% from the FT should prove valuable in a least a few games, especially considering the past few years FT shooting by the team.

IF Livers comes back, you can put him, Wagner and Smith on the floor at the end of the game - all 80% or better FT shooters. Add in Brooks (who shoots in the 70s%) and some games will feel a lot more secure than in the past.

16 Likes

I also feel like I may as well ask. How does this transfer situation compare to the Jaaron Simmons one in terms of the player, skill level, fit, and translatability to a higher level?

1 Like

well it’s presumptuous but the fit is that Smith likely knows he won’t play more than 10-12 mpg. Aiken probably wants to be a starter and centerpiece.