College Basketball Open Discussion

I remember Jonathan Givony writing that NBA scouts took a dim view of Turgeon’s coaching and talent development. It stuck out. Like he much be hearing it a lot for him to put something so critical of one coach in an article.

Yeah… my argument is more that people take Turgeon hate too far than I think he’s a genuinely good coach. If that makes sense. There are far worse coaches in the Big Ten but Turgeon’s mediocrity is emphasized because Maryland has high expectations.

2 Likes

Agreed, but his teams always focus on limited turnovers and maximizing possessions. His teams are coached to protect the damn ball and his players buy into that. One or two boneheaded turnovers and you go home in the tournament.

Found it. Wasn’t as bad as I remembered. From a 2018 list of potential draft sleepers. Justin Jackson was on the list.

“One NBA executive told us that he has identified Jackson’s college coach at Maryland, Mark Turgeon, as having one of the most glaring lists of players who exceeded their collegiate production in the NBA, potentially leading to a market inefficiency. Some of Turgeon’s past players include Khris Middleton (No. 39), DeAndre Jordan (No. 35), Alex Len (No. 5, but hasn’t really panned out), Donald Sloan (undrafted, played five seasons in the NBA), Gal Mekel (a middling player at Wichita State, who vastly exceeded those expectations as a pro), and most recently Kevin Heurter, whose stock exploded once he left Maryland and was seen in other settings. While Jackson has plenty going for him already in terms of his measurements and 3-and-D potential, this is another factor teams will likely want to consider in terms of projecting him to the NBA.”

1 Like

As a Hawks fan I am very appreciative of Huerter dropping so far in the draft

1 Like

Not to mention Under Armour is the reason the guy recruits like he does.

1 Like

#analytics

5 Likes

But what if Princeton has four Shaqs on their team? KenPom is making a lot of assumptions there.

4 Likes

Scottie Barnes committed to FSU. Big get for them. If they somehow reel in Dickinson too, that’s a loaded front court.

1 Like

Been watching Night Rydas film all weekend and love Scottie Barnes’ game.

Ahh so Nightrydas is supposed to be pronounced Night Rydas. I’ve always pronounced it as ny-tri-das and always wondered what that meant :joy:

2 Likes

Wasn’t Ny-tri-das the dude who predicted the future? Wait…

Suffered from insomnia.

1 Like

Enroll in the morning and suit up in the evening? Is that possible?

Would assume no, if he isn’t enrolled in school. Also seems like his enrollment in December isn’t a guarantee.

I doubt it. I don’t know that he would be allowed to travel with the team to Michigan (presumably on the 12th or 13th) if he wasn’t enrolled as a student until the 14th. But who knows… Either way, he wouldn’t have any practice time.

So the NCAA screwed something up? I don’t follow.

Not my words… that’s what Shams wrote in the tweet. Seems like he didn’t have his paperwork in time to be approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Not sure if that means the NCAA didn’t review some exception fast enough or whatever else.

Either way, he reclassed in August and probably some international issues to work through considering he is originally from Mali (although went to HS all four years in the US I believe).

I assume there were some hiccups in the admissions/reclassification process that just didn’t get worked out in time.

He is on the roster, though https://goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9750

1 Like

Link to tweet.

A really weird scenario. Dante is going to re-enroll at Oregon on December 14th hoping to ruled eligible by then. Our game against Oregon is scheduled for December 14th. Plus we may play them in the Bahamas. Before Dante’s commitment Oregon was a back end top 25 projected team so this makes the potential matchups much more winnable for Michigan.