College Basketball Open Discussion

On one of those in-season tournament previews, someone on ESPN or CBS listed BYU as a “dark horse” candidate for the Maui Invitational. So much for that. First Nick Emery quits, now this.

Oregon #8?

This is a freaking outrage. :slight_smile: In football we are perennially overrated, and in basketball. . .

If Maryland finishes the season 6th in the country or higher I’ll eat my shoe

7 Likes

I don’t even totally hate the fact that we aren’t ranked… But the thought of Harvard being better than us is kinda funny. Not gonna happen.

Also, anyone else confused by the Baylor love I keep seeing? Other than those things plus Maryland at 6 (outrageous), this list isn’t bad. Better than the Andy Katz one

Rothstein’s rankings are pathetic every year. It’s to the point it’s getting laughable now.

1 Like

Didn’t have Michigan ranked preseason last year either. Or the year before that. Or the year before that. Michigan’s actual AP poll finish those years: 18-19: 8th, 17-18: 7th, 16-17: 23rd

11 Likes

Like the transfer portal, the coaching carousel never stops.

Michigan projected as an 8 seed in latest Bracketology.

We’re going to be a six seed because that’s what the Fab 5 was their first year. Built in storyline for the media.

4 Likes

I’d be happy with that

I love the fact that this team is not ranked! Three returning high ranked players and missing just a few parts. Good defensive foundation, rim protector, one of the best defensive points in the country, a versatile 3-4 player and a strong group of Sophomores. If we can guard the opposing wings and get 3 point shooting, they’re top 4 in the B1G and top 15 in the country!

Book it!

2 Likes

Maryland being at six seems like kind of a default thing just because they have a lot of people returning and it’s harder to project newcomers. Not sure if I see a ton of growth potential from them except maybe from Eric Ayala. They also might have an enormous hole at center.

They were the 349th oldest team in college basketball last year. Why is there not growth potential?

1 Like

I guess from a skillset perspective, I don’t really envision guys like Morsel, Serrel Smith, Wiggins and Ricky Lindo making significant jumps. They seem like guys who can do their roles but aren’t going to be notably different players. Combined with a coach who doesn’t have a great player development track record. And you know, they lost their best player.

Senior PG: Check.
Sophomore Big with NBA Potential: Check.
Sophomore wings who could break out and shoot 40% from 3: Check.
Solid freshman class: Check.

Seems like the core of a pretty good team. I like the idea of potentially playing smaller around Smith rather than forcing the two big look like they did last year. Suspect Turgeon will probably stick to trying to force Mitchell or Lindo into that 5th spot though.

1 Like

Turgeon is 59-33 in the Big Ten.

Also, I’m referring more to picking them 2nd in the league. Not sure what “Maryland being at 6” was referring to.

The answer to that is that I just opened up this thread for the first time in a month and thought the discussion of Rothstein’s rankings was new. :joy:

I’d agree with picking Maryland 2nd in the B10. Feels like a 15-20ish ranked team to me.

I don’t think Turgeon being Turgeon is a death sentence. Reasonable to expect him to field a pretty good team, if never a great one.