College Basketball Open Discussion

Any good podcasts previewing the tourney? Aside from The Moving Screen™ obviously.

If St Johns shot anywhere close to “not atrocious”, they would have beat ASU. Less than 30% from deep and 50% from the line. This game was awful to watch.

Unfortunately, St. Johns struggles with the fact that they are a horrible basketball team. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

They have zero bigs. Just got beat up

The best weekend in sports is about to begin. If work wasn’t so crazy this week I’d take it off…

Figure this belongs here:

Out of left field.

Dang, that was quick.

I guess it doesn’t mean much, but didn’t Oats sign an extension at Buffalo like a week and a half ago?

Nice way to give Buffalo a little extra cash on the buyout I suspect.

7 Likes

Figured he would end up getting something better. I just don’t see Bama as a bball destination for a coach and he seemed to be a riser.

Exactly what I think as well.

Can always be used as a stepping stool, a P5 job, not SUPER lucrative but will have resources. Given his starting base from Romulus, I would figure he’s going to be speculated heavily once Izzo and Beilein both retire.

Didn’t realize that Nate Oats was the former Romulus coach. No wonder they haven’t been relevant recently after being randomly great for forever.

I had to read this about 5 times before I understood your point. Alabama orchestrated the extension so they could give Buffalo more money? I would never have guessed Alabama would be so generous

Buffalo knew Nate Oats was probably leaving but Oats probably just agreed to an extension to give Buffalo a better buy out or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Yep, raise to $860,000 range…$750,000 buyout! Can’t blame the coach when your brand is hot, you takes the money!

That’s what they said about UM when Beilein came to town!

1 Like

He loses a ton from his team I believe, so strike while the iron is hot. Not a lot of clearly better jobs out there than Bama. UCLA is better. Maybe Arkansas and TAMU. Cal? Vanderbilt? UNLV?

UCLA is probably trying to make a splash hire and Oats isn’t it.

1 Like

Wonder if Patrick Beilein will be a candidate for the Buffalo job with the family ties to the area? Seems like he’s waiting for the right opportunity to open up before making the move to D1 and a MAC job would be a good size jump.

6 Likes

Rumors are Kelvin Sampson to Arkansas, Buzz Williams to A&M. UNLV is a much worse job nowadays. Those moves will open up a couple of other decent jobs.

1 Like