College Basketball Open Discussion

I guess I have never though of Kellogg as a Michigan skeptic. I wonder if others feel that way and if so…why is he like that?

1 Like

That’s easy OSU Alum!

Nova down 11 @ St. Johns in the 2nd half. Creighton also down 5 at home to Georgetown at the half. Chaos looming large in the Big East tonight.

1 Like

Michigan’s 1 line looking good tonight

5 Likes

Kellogg: “It’s tough to reward a Michigan team that hasn’t won a game in almost two weeks.”

Did he really say that? First off, Clark, this last Sunday was not “almost two weeks” – last time I checked was nine days was closer to one week than two. Secondly, I’d love to have known his thoughts on Villanova in the middle of their four week shutdown.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that Kellogg never said this. :grimacing::man_facepalming:

As long as we did not end up in Baylor’s or Gonzaga’s regions, it doesn’t really matter to me if Michigan doesn’t end up as a 1 seed. We know we are good this year. Even if we end up as a 2 or 3, I would like our chances against any of the teams who might be seeded above us.

1 Like

That’s the problem though. Being a 1 seed is the only way to guarantee you aren’t paired with Gonzaga or Baylor. Otherwise it’s a 50/50 chance

3 Likes

It was a joke (as far as I know) :laughing:

The seeding and bracket placement this year strictly follows the s-curve. So the overall 1 seed is paired with the overall #8. Overall #2 is paired with overall #7.

Basically if we were to be seeded anywhere between 3-6 we’d be guaranteed to avoid Baylor/Gonzaga until the final 4.

However, the 7-10th teams on the s curve would be in the same region as one of Gonzaga/Baylor.

Edit: after doing some further reading this isn’t as cut and dry as I made it seem. There are still caveats, such as teams on the first 4 lines from the same conference not being in the same region, that could shift a few things around with the B1G and Big 12 each likely having at least two teams fitting that criteria

1 Like

Gah! Well, I look dumb. :man_facepalming:

Anyway, Nova loses by 11 to meh St. John’s.

1 Like

Down goes Nova. 11 point loss in a game they were favored by 6 on Torvik (and Torvik had them as the #15 team coming into the game, whereas KP has them at 5). Nova’s resume is honestly a little light, the win @Texas is carrying the bulk of the load. That’s a super impressive win, but besides that the only top 50 Torvik team they’ve beaten is Seton Hall.

Between Houston and Nova losing tonight, Michigan’s grasp on a 1 seed has tightened. And we should be #3 in the polls next week.

1 Like

Cade Cunningham nice player. Very talented. However, this Oklahoma State team doesn’t seem well coached and Cunningham being put in difficult situations, making poor decisions, and detracting from his game. Hard to watch basketball

I knew nothing about SJU prior to the game, and was extremely impressed with how active and connected they were defensively. Then, I check kenpom post-game, and they were the #117 rated defence in the country entering the game. Sometimes, things don’t make sense. One thing that stood out about Villanova is something that’s often noted about Michigan; no player that can consistently break down a defence one-on-one…at least tonight.

Castleton didn’t shoot well in Florida’s loss and only had 11 points, but 7 boards and 7 blocks(!). He’ll always be wiry, but Colin has put on enough muscle to hold his own in the post.

2 Likes

Big 12 should get 6 bids IMO, not 7. I’m sure the NCAA will want Cunningham in the Tournament, though, much as the Trae Young-led Oklahoma team was not deserving of a bid yet got in anyway.

1 Like

How could we forget greatest-coach-in-the-world Ed Cooley leading his Providence squad to new offensive heights last night?! I mean, without him I doubt they even reach 40, so scoring 43 at home versus Seton Hall is cause for celebration. Next time out against St John’s expect to see more fireworks…50 points could be in play!

1 Like

I wish basketball announcers would talk about what is going on in the game. For example, they are double teaming so/so, team is going to a zone, etc instead of talking about the coach’s family or some other BS story.

My rant for the day ! :rofl:

2 Likes

Me too! TV people have always assumed viewers want personal narratives, and you can understand why to an extent, but if that’s what they think is desired, fill the broadcast booth with people who understand what makes for a narrative. Retired ballers aren’t going to be it, unless you luck into one.

Or, update what you as a network think you know about your viewers, because Xs and Os content is pretty popular.

Comment about Dan Dakich: if he’s really plugged in to the game, which isn’t always or maybe even usually the case, he’s pretty good at it.

4 Likes

Dakich can be pretty good with that when he’s not ranting and raving or twitter searching his name. Robbie Hummel is good at that. I think Fran Fraschilla does it well also. I wish he did bigger games on ESPN. He seems to only do second rate B12 games.

3 Likes