College Basketball Open Discussion

Eh I don’t know that I fully buy that. Self is definitely in love with true 5’s historically, and McCormack is an example of that. But they beat WVU in December in a game where both Wilson and McCormack played 32 minutes with ORTGs of 125+. Even back in the non-con they beat Creighton in a game where McCormack played 28 minutes, had a USG of 27.7 (almost 6 points higher than Wilson’s in the game) but a sub 90 ORTG.

I think Kansas has been winning and losing independently of McCormack. He actually has the best ORTG of any key Jayhawk in conference play, while having the same USG and % of minutes played in conference as he did the non-con. I think the bigger issue is Wilson has just hit a massive wall (106 ORTG in non-con down to 95 in conference play), while every other perimeter player (Garrett, Agbaji, Braun) has maintained their average efficiency or dropped as well.

McCormack is definitely not a piece I’m excited about. He’s a true 5 who isn’t a game changing post defensive player, can’t defend the perimeter, and is at best a slightly above average post player on offense. He’s an old school 5 who you can win with now, but either because they’re Azubuike or because you surround him with 4 great perimeter players. I think KU’s problem is the 4 perimeter players were playing good enough for a while, but for the last month+ they’ve all been underwhelming.

3 Likes

There’s something very charming about Loyola as a top-20 team this year, especially led by Krutwig. Like catching up with an old pal you haven’t seen in a while

17 Likes

You’d think this would be the logical time for Moser to leave. He proved it wasn’t a fluke. Would Indiana be interested? Seems like a better fit somewhere else high profile but I don’t see any Midwest B1G openings

Unfortunately for IU I don’t think Archie’s gonna be gone after this year, especially if they make the tourney.

Like you said not sure why other relevant B1G jobs open up. Maybe Iowa St. if Prohm gets fired?

Oh yeah that’s a good one. Kansas State maybe but they just said Weber would be returning. Not that that means anything.

FWIW, he’s from a superb of Chicago. He has been elsewhere in the country as an assistant, but I wonder if he’s just happy where he is.

Everyone’s happy where they are until they get 3 million dollars

Like Mark Few?

Exception that proves the rule. That’s also why I was asking about Midwest jobs so I wasn’t ignoring that

Lol, sure thing man. It’s unheard for anyone in sports to take pay cuts for situations that they like better.

1 Like

Moser signed a contract extension at Loyola and has recently turned down UNLV and St. Johns HC offers.

Now maybe he eventually wants to see what else is out there, but I imagine it would have to be a pretty big name to get him to bite. He has a really good team this year, better than the team we beat in the Final Four.

The idea of someone staying at a mid major when they are being offered big jobs is a rarity. Sure, he could stay forever. And the fact that he makes 2 mill is likely has helped keep him there. But it’s very possible, and more likely, he’d be interested in a solid B1G or other job (something better than UNLV or St Johns)

1 Like

Is that accurate? I see he was making $2 after turning down St. John’s. Looks like Few is at 3.1 .

I think Few’s base salary is lower but he gets incentives? I saw both numbers

I saw 1.8 for Few, but looks like that’s outdated.

Guys who stay at a place like Gonzaga for less money are Few and far between. I’m sure this joke has been made 1 billion times but I’ll make it anyway because that’s how I roll

5 Likes

How long did Chris Collins buy himself with those first three Big Ten wins to start this year? 2 more seasons? Maybe a year per win? Northwestern is the pretty obvious place in all of this.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be shocked if the lack of seniors might lead the administration to believe next year will be Chris’s year, if they just have patience. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Once upon a time, Dana Altman seemed like he would stay at Creighton forever…and then… :duck: :moneybag: :athletic_shoe:

I think that NCAA appearance bought him about five years.