College Basketball Open Discussion

Grand Rapids. It wafts.

Washington St. is actually 2 spots lower on Kenpom despite being 8-1! Although, watching their game against Arizona, I think preseason projections and a very weak schedule are why they’re still lower. They look better than this miserable Washington team does. Oregon State is actually worse than both. Nooooot a great conference. And Cal is worse than them! WTF? (I’m going down kenpom’s main page and finding them as they come).

So the pac 12 has the 125th, 127th, 134th, and 141st ranked teams. Vanderbilt is smashed in there too. But, to answer your question (Which you probably were asking rhetorically, sorry) it is Cal. Unless you’re like me and hardly can call the Pac 12 a power conference, in which case it’s Vandy.

12 Likes

I know Cole Bajema is back in his home state but he could not be at a worse power conference team, IMO. Not advocating for him to still be at Michigan, just marveling at how truly awful Mike Hopkins’s team is.

2 Likes

Yes that was the play! Embarrassing how I misremembered the details from seeing it to typing out my comment here.

1 Like

DDJ continues to lay bricks left and right but he had 12 dimes and 9 boards in Cincy’s road upset of SMU.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this, I watched it like 5 times lol.

1 Like

ASU is playing their first game since their December 16th loss tonight, home vs UCLA.

Marcus Bagley is back for ASU, but somehow their even more shorthanded than they were without him. Remy Martin, Jaelen House, Jalen Graham and Taeshon Cherry are all out for various reasons. That’s their leading scorer, and 3 other guys who play 25% of minutes or more.

This could be rough for them.

/turns on game
/hears Walton’s voice
/turns on Spanish stream

9 Likes

ASU is up 30-28 at the half. Super ugly half offensively, not surprising for ASU with how many guys are out but very rough for UCLA.

Christopher has 10 points and 6 rebounds on the plus side. On the negative side he is 3-12 from the floor, 0-3 from 3 and has no assists. Can’t really blame him for the inefficiency considering how short handed ASU is. But 0-3 from 3 drops him to 20.6% from 3 for the season and UCLA is starting to really sag off him when he has the ball on offense.

Another Christopher update:

With ASU down 53-49 at the under 8, Christopher is up to 14 points, 7 boards and 0 assists (2 TOs) on 5-18 shooting, 0-5 for 3. He just airballed a wide open 3 from the corner and is down under 20% from deep on the season.

He did change from white to gold shoes at halftime though.

4 Likes

Still absolutely bonkers to me that a dude as allegedly brand-conscious as Christopher chose to play in a conference that involves many games lasting to midnight and beyond on the east coast against mostly terrible teams (Not saying UCLA is, just most of the PAC 12) for a school that is not even close to a usual factor in the national basketball sphere of importance.

5 Likes

I mean he clearly chose other things over brand. Namely family.

3 Likes

Vecenie’s latest mock. Uh oh.

1 Like

Can’t see Dickinson leaving after 1 year…hell, he’d be at Wisconsin for 6.

7 Likes

Or MSU for 2-3 haha

4 Likes

Ohio is playing at Toledo on CBS Sports Network right now for anyone looking for a lead into the MSU-Purdue game. Jason Preston isn’t starting but may play for Ohio

Ibi Watson with a killer stepback three late in OT to put Dayton up five. Believe he has 21 tonight.

12 Likes

I love not having to be salty about guys like Ibi and Colin transferring and kicking ass. Hard to be with the wings and center we’re currently throwing out there. It’s much more fun just to root for their success rather than focusing on the “what ifs.”

15 Likes

Wondering if there are stats out there showing whether the overall free throw shooting rate in CBB has gone up this year, given the absence of live crowds. Michigan’s as a team is high, and so is the collective percentage of their opponents, even though there were not a lot of particularly good teams there.