College Basketball Open Discussion

I did not recall that Ray Jackson didn’t play that night.

12 Likes

Back to Illinois. Makes sense. Solid landing spot for him.

2 Likes

Congrats to him. Happy for him.

1 Like

Howard Eisley could have been in the mix if BC went in another direction.

So it’s looking like one new-assistant hire max, which is nice for continuity.

Dylan, how much value-added do you think Martelli would bring in Year 2 vis-a-vis Year 1? Juwan’s been through it all now, save for the postseason.

Martelli = DMV recruiting

4 Likes

Good point.

Just a fun little fluff piece I thought was fun. Juwan’s favorites, for those wondering, are The Godfather trilogy for movies and Below Deck Mediterranean for TV.

2 Likes

Here’s some other notable ones. Lots of Shawshank Redemption love. Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm too. Steve Pikiell’s favorite is Impractical Jokers which really is unexpected but great. Bruce Weber’s favorite movie of all-time is GREEN BOOK? What?

1 Like

Yeah… it’s a Yahoo article. Yeah, I am starved for content right now :man_shrugging:. But they mention Michigan on the trend up

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-college-basketball-should-expect-the-return-of-blueblood-dominance-next-season-191605239.html

I’ve been super bored so today I started scrolling through old Michigan games… Michigan’s 2012-13 team was so talented it blows my mind. Mitch Mcgary was an absolute workhorse inside. He was so good. If he could’ve stayed off the weed or just not got caught I’d imagine he’d be making a ton of money in the NBA right now. Right now I am watching their first round game vs. South Dakota State.

2 Likes

I agree that McGary was super talented and made a difference at Michigan, but he did get a fair run in the NBA. He was a first round pick by OKC. Although he may have been able to raise his profile a little more with another year at Michigan, I don’t think the NBA experience would have been any different.

He was a pretty good backup to Steven Adams and won the Summer League MVP award. Shortly after that he got pretty much perma-banned from the NBA. I think he was going to be a very solid 10+ year potential NBA player imo. Not a allstar but a solid blue collar big man that a lot of teams would like to have.

3 Likes

2014 tournament would have been epic for Michigan had McGary not gotten hurt. He would have made all the difference in the world against Kentucky and I think we would have entered the Final Four as favorites.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what struck me when I watched the 2013 Kansas regional semi the other night. We were so far ahead of them talent-wise.

That Kansas team was incredibly good. Wild we won that game

Kansas was way more talented than Louisville that year imo. Kind of agitated rewatching these games that Michigan lost to Louisville.

1 Like

Michigan vs Kentucky 2014 elite 8 on CBS Sports right now.

We’re up 11 with 5 left in the first half. Looking like back to back final four appearances.

1 Like

I’m very impressed at people who have the stomach for stuff like that. I cannot re watch a loss, never did it. I re watch every single win though.
That’s why I don’t think I can ever work for Dylan. Too painful to write about a loss. Kudos for the umhoops team to take that burden for all of us weak links.

6 Likes