College Basketball Open Discussion

I’m watching UNC/ND and Cole Anthony just does not impress me as a top pick. :man_shrugging:

Also, UNC is dreadfully bad. Yikes.

1 Like

Another miserable heartbreaking loss for UNC. What a brutal season.

1 Like

He’s very talented but I agree with you. Something about him just doesn’t scream top 3 to 5 pick. I know he’s battled injuries but his shooting percentage leaves a lot to be desired and he seems like a high volume guy.

1 Like

I know I’m biased because he’s my Rochester boy but I think the mock drafts / prospect rankings are off on Stewart. Also for carey for that matter. They maybe old school post up bigs but both are loads /athletic and play with high motors.

Stewart is going to fall and he’s going to tears someone with constant energy and rim running, rebounding and defense.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Wing - Greg Brown (Offer)

“The group’s goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfers in the 2020-21 academic year.”

That means a one-time transfer without a sit-out year will probably be on the table when this season ends.

• starts new 2021 rotation with possible transfers *
1 Like

This first year is going be nuts though

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of the free transfer. Feels like it’ll destroy the stability of the game to an absurd level.

5 Likes

It already exists in every sport except football and basketball I believe (hockey too?). And most players already transfer anyway. The change will be HMs trying to poach the Ja Morant’s of the world (who are few and far between). They’ll mostly fail and it’ll chill out and become normal.

I think it’ll settle in… everyone is going to think it is a good idea to start but in the end it is only going to make sense for a select few players. Also the fact that you can only do it once means that you have to really think about it.

1 Like

Non-revenue sports aren’t nearly as competitive generally and tend to have absurdly bad parity, so I’m not sure if that’s the greatest example.

What type of transfers do you think are going to ruin the game?

HM players who can’t crack the rotation transferring after their freshman year to the proper level? This seems like 100% a good thing.

MM star freshmen leaving to go HM? This seems like it’ll be something that lower level HMs really pursue (Northwestern type of schools) but there are probably only a few MM freshmen who are really good enough to impact the game at the higher levels.

Star MM players are usually upperclassmen I’d say… is there a chance that those guys do what amounts to a grad transfer year (just not as a grad transfer) at a higher level? Probably. Does that ruin college basketball? Is that a sustainable way to build a program?

Seems like big recruiting misses will be able to correct their course up or down.

3 Likes

Do you really have to think about it? Let’s say you transfer after your freshman year. You get a free transfer and now you’re a sophomore somewhere else. Now you can reasonably still do another transfer, because you can redshirt a year and then compete as a junior and senior at your new school. Now you just finished your red shirt junior year. Now you can grad transfer somewhere else no cost. So you just played 4 years at 4 different schools. You have a lot of leeway to change your mind and move.

Obviously it’s an absurd example, but it effectively becomes nearly free movement with this rule change.

I just don’t really understand why or how that would happen. Or what kind of common use case it would be. Right now there are a bunch of guys who play at three schools, sometimes even the same school twice, but it is just a rare one off case. Not like an ideal path.

It’s more of an illustration that “you still have to think about it” isn’t really an argument for the change. Giving one free transfer is basically the same as creating free movement in college hoops, as the cost for a bad transfer decision is very minimal.

I’d be concerned about even more absurd blue-blood accumalation where they basically get to trade failed high 4 stars for immediate impact players from bad high-major schools. Like Daniel Otoru transferring to UNC to replace Garrison Brooks.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure why any kid would want to do that. And most kids transfer for playing time. I’m not sure a kid would be a very hot commodity if he’s transferred multiple times already and hasn’t gotten PT yet. Most likely coaches would rather use their scholarship on someone else.

And the list of kids who are not happy at their current school, good enough to be coveted by blue bloods, but not good enough to go pro is likely to be extremely small. Kids transfer all the time now anyways. All this does is remove all the BS from kids making up “hardships” to appeal to the NCAA when in reality almost every kid transfers for the same reason - they aren’t happy in their current situation.

1 Like

Oturu will just go to the NBA. And if a guy isn’t a pro, why is a blue blood taking him?