College basketball corruption charges

If the UNC investigation is anything to go by, John Beilein may be retired by the time it wraps up.

2 Likes

UNC is academic fraud.

We are talking about $ here, which is a whole other level to NCAA. It’s about the culture of collegiate sports.

Creighton had a coach involved right?

Preston murphy

Those expected to be in the crosshairs and face the most significant penalties include: Louisville, North Carolina State, Kansas, Arizona, LSU, USC, Oklahoma State, South Carolina and Auburn. TCU, Creighton and Clemson all also had assistant coaches implicated in the scandal and could face sanctions.

If NC State is the only one of the the triangle schools to get hit in this, there is something to Duke and UNC being protected. Gottfried was dirty as hell but come on

1 Like

Why would they be? I don’t remember them mentioned in the case.

Yes but Zion and RJ we’re not playing for free. How many guys go through each of those schools that actually play for free? An FBI sting can wrap up Dennis Smith Jr but not one guy from UNC or Duke? Throw in Louisville but not Kentucky for that matter, same BS.

1 Like

90% of P5 schools would be hit if we’re just going by “who is actually dirty.” Neither were involved in the FBI so it would be a shock to see either.

2 Likes

Nike schools may not be off the hook yet

1 Like
2 Likes

So the NCAA, which shows not the slightest interest in enforcing its own rules, is now telling California schools that they must ignore California law and risk being sued by players who want to be able to be compensated in a completely legal fashion under state law, or risk being banned by the NCAA for following the law. Wow, just wow. And I’ll wait to see if the NCAA will actually ban USC football, UCLA basketball, Stanford in every non-revenue sport, etc., and render the Pac-12 obsolete.

Good times.

4 Likes

For those who say, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” or “old silverblue is just too set in his ways,” you, mainly, and others on here, have convinced me. I used to be against players profiting from their likenesses. I supported the NCAA’s position. I just wanted to keep college athletics pure. I know, I know…the NCAA? Joke!

So count me among those open minded 21st century “old dogs” to whom new tricks CAN be taught. I’m on board!

The thing this California case may do is convince the NCAA that they had better change their tune, or, truly, they may be left behind! AND, players rightfully should be allowed to share in the profits their institutions and the NCAA are raking in!

9 Likes

The handwriting is on the wall. Recruits are going to get paid above board. NCAA will end up obsolete, not the pac12. The revenue sports parts of athletic departments will end up getting spun off into separate entities unencumbered by NCAA, title IX etc. This is a first step towards that.

NCAA tries to keep California schools from competing will end one of two ways IMO:

1. Long, drawn out court battle and NCAA will eventually have to concede that players can profit from their likeness.
  2. California schools have to drop out of NCAA, and other big time schools decide to join them and the NCAA slowly bleeds itself to death all in the name of greed.
1 Like

The latter. Why go to court when you can just make money?

Yup, if schools are say, selling a Zion Williamson jersey, Zion should get paid off of those sales. Or if schools are using a Kyler Murray bobblehead (or whatever) to sell ticket packages or solicit booster donations, then Murray should be compensated.

2 Likes

(Separated these posts so issue 1 wasn’t mixed with issue 2)

As scholarships are going above tuition rates to cover closer to true living expenses and as payments to “student-athletes” are being pushed further, I do wonder about the tax ramifications … students can get taxed for parts of scholarship awards. IRS looked at it with college athletics a few years ago (during the Northwestern unionization push, if I remember correctly) and ultimately decided to stand down, but…make too good of a case in court that “student-athletes” are more employee than student and the IRS may get interested, again?

2 Likes

I think at the very minimum players should make profit off of jersey sails and similar merchandise, be able to receive endorsements, and make money using their talents in the off season. This idea would really only benefit the top athletes but I guess those are also the ones getting really screwed. I think they should be paid by the schools or whatever too but seems like what I just said would be very easy to implement pretty much immediately.

Jersey sales are very tricky, imo.

Schools don’t sell jerseys with a player’s name on them now. Of course there will be demand for Duke Jerseys with Zion’s number whether his name is on it or not. So does he only get compensated for a more expensive version with his name on the back?

Certain numbers are always going to be popular. #1 for example, even when it’s not associated with a current star like Zion. Or if we look at Michigan football, #2 for Woodson and now #4 for Harbaugh. So in awarding jersey numbers the coach is favoring certain players financially. When does the next Duke player to wear #1 start collecting?

Clothing companies typically pick out just a few numbers to print every year. I see a lot of controversy ahead if this one of the main methods players get compensated.

1 Like