College basketball corruption charges

With what will probably be the 3rd best recruiting class in the nation, when all is said and done (Memphis expected to leapfrog Duke for the top spot), it wouldn’t surprise me if Arizona will wait and see if the NCAA is actually going to do anything. Things were looking bleak last year, considering his 2018 class almost all de-committed in the wake of the scandal. Since recruiting is back on track, however, the university may decide to ride it out and see what happens. It was long-rumored that Lute Olson didn’t run the cleanest program in his days there.
As far as the trial currently ongoing, the judge had ruled Miller and Will Wade would not be subpoenaed. Last I read, that determination was being appealed by the defense attorneys.

lol. Right on cue. Not that it necessarily means anything, considering nothing happened to UNC.
Even their national championships, won with academically ineligible players, went untouched. Arizona may not be an all-time blue blood like Carolina, but they’ve been one of the premiere programs in college hoops for the past thirty years.

After further review the NCAA has decided AU was not compliant and in violation of NCAA rules, but of course we have no sanction mechanism because we are run like the government. Accountability be damned!!

Quote from the NCAA…

The NCAA is not set up in any way like a professional sports organization. There are no provisions for the national office to suddenly, arbitrarily judge that violations have occurred, let alone impose sanctions. Violations and penalties for schools are determined by a membership committee (yes, that means representatives from the schools) called the Committee on Infractions. Of course, this happens after the enforcement division, made up of NCAA staff, investigates potential violations.

“We have a representative style of government,’’ said Emmert. “It’s not a monarchy. Can that be frustrating to everyone, including me? Sure. But it’s the best way to run college sports with 1,100 members.’’

Really…the best way? Feel free to cheat and pay off players and families!

1 Like

Seriously. What a clown show. It’s actually not a bad way to showcase the absurdity of the entire screwed up. system. Wetzel has it exactly right.

3 Likes

Sic 'em; sink 'em.

Silvo De Sousa will be eligible this fall after the NCAA reinstated him immediately after an appeal hearing today.

It’s amazing to me how they can make the schools out to be victims in all of this. They benefitted from all of these tactics! And if they were so victimized, why keep the head coach/CEO of the program around?

8 Likes

The NCAA BB program will continue to be the Wild West until the schools are held accountable. Just pay the kids (no cap) and allow bonuses and gifts, schools like UM will be fine, they have the resources to compete in that market. There is no end game if the schools are allowed to cheat without consequences. This is comical that the NCAA with all of its wisdom cannot structure integrity.

They are victims just like when you rob your own house, turn it into insurance to commit insurance fraud, and then buy a whole bunch of sweet new stuff for your house!

You are the victim in that situation.

7 Likes

or set your house on fire

Could be something of note for Jalen Wilson and many other recruits. Michigan may end up with some decent potential recruiting options if coaches get fired or NCAA actually does something relevant (they probably won’t knowing how the ncaa is).

1 Like

Seems more likely to impact the 2020 class (and potentially transfers next year) right?

Any guesses on the six schools?
Kansas, Arizona, Louisville, LSU and USC have all featured pretty heavily right? Who am I missing?

3 Likes

I haven’t followed the case all that closely, but wasn’t Oregon mentioned?

The NCAA will probably make each school take one PS4 out of the players’ lounge as punishment.

7 Likes

I’m guessing the sixth school is Auburn

1 Like

Auburn, Oklahoma State, TCU are each a possibility in addition to those just mentioned.

You don’t think that coaches could be fired?

Before this season starts? I just think things will drag on a little bit longer than that.

The NOA drops this summer but then there will be appeals, investigations, other steps to the process. I guess we’ll see.

5 Likes

Yeah, the article says that allegations are forthcoming, not sanctions. I will remain in believe-it-when-I-see-it mode.

4 Likes