College basketball corruption charges

I guess I don’t see how not getting a dirty player would be seen as bad.

Clearly JB dropped the bag for Spike Albrecht. We’re screwed.

7 Likes

All this stuff shouldn’t surprise anyone. To think it only happens at the high major level is laughable. There is shady happenings done at the D2 and D3 level as well. No coaches will ever talk about it publicly because they know they’ll never get a job again.

You can’t “snitch” on another coach or you could be this guy. Who did everything a decent human could’ve done and can’t get a job. http://reiter.radio.cbssports.com/2017/03/29/former-baylor-assistant-felt-it-was-a-story-that-needed-to-be-told/

1 Like

Whoops, I misread @Maker’s post. Missing out on those guys definitely doesnt reflect poorly on JB. Was just listing the stud dirty players that we missed on.

2 Likes

Call me cynical, but in my UNeducated opinion, I’m not so sure this will have a drastic effect on college basketball. The article states at the beginning, “it’s increasingly unlikely there will be another wave of double-digit arrests.” Later in the article, it says, “No one is certain if they’ve [the Feds] agreed to eventually give it to the NCAA if it doesn’t go public.” So for there to be a major change in NCAA basketball, I think one of 2 things has to happen: (1) there is such a public outcry and reduction in consumption of product, that the NCAA has to make a change to get attendance/viewership back or (2) the NCAA decides to make major changes by itself without any legal need to do so or public outcry. I don’t necessarily think either are likely,

2 Likes

I’m with you, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m thinking that it’s gonna have to get leaked for the public to catch wind of exactly who is under the microscope and certainly for any heads to fall.

That’s awesome!! You might also add Caris, Trey, Rahk, Duncan…the list goes on!

1 Like

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spreadsheets-wiretaps-bank-records-detail-payment-scheme-hoops-corruption-case-001618078.html

2 Likes

Couldn’t help but notice that of the 6 names mentioned at the end of the article who have left ASM four played at Clemson and two played at Xavier. If I remember correctly Michigan never went after Sumner too hard. Maybe this would explain why.

If it hasn’t been mentioned before, the attorney for Christian Dawkins is Steve Haney, who is Magic Johnson’s brother-in-law, and whose son Stephen was fairly seriously recruited by Michigan (no offer) and is currently at Loyola Marymount via Central Florida.

My two Xavier buddies are sweating bullets right now about this stuff because they know for a fact that Xavier players have been getting paid since atleast Sean Miller.

3 Likes

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

This is just the start. And this is just one agency… a lot of kids with ties to the state on that list. Not surprising given Dawkins.

1 Like

Some of the amounts of money are fairly large, but a lot aren’t… especially the amounts to Bridges. It’s impermissible benefits but paying for a meal or a flight isn’t a huge deal to me. I’m thinking there has to be more than just what is on these ledgers.

The most interesting takeaway I had from the article was the meetings that were arranged, including with Izzo. “According to the documents, Dawkins has dinners listed with plenty of boldface names in the sport – Tom Izzo, “Villanova coaches,” Fultz and the family of wayward five-star prospect Mitchell Robinson.”

A lot of notable names though for our sake with guys that were either local that we didn’t get involved with or guys that we were involved in the recruitment at one point and lost in the end.

Eric Davis, Demetrius Jackson, Josh Jackson, Miles Bridges, Kyle Kuzma, Edmond Sumner, PJ Dozier, Diamond Stone, Monte Morris.

Quite a few of these guys received small impermissible benefits. If/when the Nike and UA shoe drops you will see a lot more money flowing out. It was widely rumored about Josh Jackson’s mom getting 6 figures from UA back when he joined them on the AAU circuit. This whole thing is going to be a wild ride. How many championships might be vacated as a result of this?

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how MSU and Izzo handle Mikes Bridges whose mother is listed as receiving cash.

1 Like

Basic and ignorant question: if the school had nothing to do with the money, they can still be liable and will forfeit seasons and such right?.. similar to what happened with Traylor, Bullock and Webber

“Hall of Fame coaches. Guardians of the sport. What do you have to say about this? Where you at Izz?”

4 Likes

She also started an AAU program, similar to what Marvin Bagley’s father did. This is all considered ok in the views of the NCAA. In theory, that are just like any other AAU coach that has good players that is looking for a sponsorship.

The meal stuff is fascinating. It doesn’t specially say that the agent/Dawkins paid for anything but it does say that there was a meeting/meal. Here is a link to Rich Paul (Lebron’s agent) and Lebron meeting with Cam Reddish, a Duke signee. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/08/lebron_james_rich_paul_meet_wi.html