College Basketball 2023-24 Discussion

This stuff is all coming from coaches. Coaches don’t want to lose players from their rosters in August. Coaches want to know who is on their roster as soon as possible, etc.

I know that, but it’s still forcing kids to make a decision without knowing the most important variable. Plus if you don’t graduate like you hoped, there may be some hard feelings on your current coaches and teammates knowing you didn’t actually want to be there.

1 Like

I think the reality is that they care more about the overall process than the 5 kids that try to graduate and transfer late. To be honest, the whole idea that dozens of kids were going to do that was a bit overblown.

Any timeframes or limits are going to make it harder on different people. Just think they need to find something that works and stick to it so everyone knows the rules.

1 Like

There is an enormous middle ground between May 1 and August though. Maybe just use some common sense to come up with a reasonable solution rather than make drastic changes.

If you’re going to move the window up to Selection Sunday, make sure the kids who play in the tournament have more than a few weeks to make their decision after the season. If you’re going to have a 45-day window on the portal closing, leave it open just a little bit longer for grad transfers.

It’s not rocket science. This seems entirely geared toward coaches and no thought given to the kids who don’t have a voice at the table.

1 Like

Grad transfer stuff, ok. makes some sense.

But 45 days after selection sunday? So if your team makes the final four you have 3 weeks to enter the portal? You have very little time to figure out whether your coaches are gonna be recruiting over you in the portal

Whatever, coaches like Izzo can get wrecked.

1 Like

May 1st is more than a month after everything but the Final Four. Every school will have had exit interviews, every school will be having spring workouts. It feels reasonable to know if you are coming back to your school the following year by May 1st, right?

Other stuff is around this same timeline (pretty sure the early entry deadline is April 20th or something like that).

I just don’t think making decisions based on the four teams in the Final Four really makes a ton of sense. Yes, they are at a disadvantage, but they are in the damn Final Four.

It’s not like HS recruiting or other stuff stops during the NCAA Tournament.

2 Likes

Maybe for some kids, but not for all. What if your coach is interviewing for other jobs and whether he is actually still your coach could affect your decision? What if you feel emotionally some type of way when the season ends, but after you have more time to reflect with your family you feel differently weeks later? What if you’re waiting on a player in front of you to make a draft decision before you can really make a sound decision?

It all just seems unnecessary to force everything to happen that quickly.

I would guess, though I truly have no idea, that a huge majority of players who enter the transfer portal made up their mind about it during the season or immediately after. How many players actually need weeks and weeks to think it over?

5 Likes

I’d argue waiting a few weeks doesn’t negatively impact them either. Maybe it allows them to do some more research on where they really want to go. Allows more time to discuss with family/trusted advisors before diving into the portal.

Let everyone enter at the same time after the championship is decided.

Why are we making kids wait multiple weeks to figure out where they are going when their season is over and they need to find a new home?

A ton of kids were entering the portal in April last year.

Their seasons are over, making them wait means that they might get a late start on figuring out what they need at the next stop, getting enrolled, taking visits, whatever.

2 Likes

They can stay in the portal as long as they want, they just need to enter by a certain date.

And everyone going in at the same time would be great except Mid Major Star X whose team didn’t make the tournament is going to make it known to advisors etc that he’s going to enter and coaches are going to make backchannel communications… so why not just make it official and have the portal open early?

3 Likes

I feel like I’m okay with these changes. I will now get myself checked out for agreeing with something that the NCAA did.

So it’s fine for the kids who are in the tournament and want to transfer, but it’s not fine for the kids who don’t make it? Just wish it was a level playing field for everyone who wants to portal.

I guess I can see both sides of the fence, but it’s still unfortunate it’s not truly the same for everyone.

The fact that they went 45 days instead of 30 basically comps for this, I’d say.

1 Like

With the moved-up deadline the issue I can see is more portal recruitments stretching past the portal entry deadline. So you’ll have players getting recruited over with no recourse.

1. After the year, Dug McDaniel talks with Juwan Howard and both are on the same page about him coming back and his role.
  2. Tyler Kolek decides to enter the portal and has interest in Michigan.
  3. A week before the portal entry deadline closes, he releases a Tipton Edit with a top 5 of Michigan, Alabama, USC, Kansas, and George Mason.
  4. It’s clear his recruitment won’t wrap up by the entry deadline.

Does McDaniel enter his name to cover his bases? More broadly, if there are still a lot of uncommitted portal players, do a lot more enter their names just in case they get recruited over?

2 Likes

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if a) more people enter and b) more commitments are pushed back until post-portal deadline.

But also the reality is that guys are committing in the portal to play, if they have to beat someone out (or boot someone) then it doesn’t really help anyone to have everyone there.

this is one of the two things we call “pulling a Caleb Love”

5 Likes

And if more players enter the portal to be safe and cover their bases whether they plan to leave or not, does that really help the coaches figure out their rosters?

2 Likes

They could’ve just bumped it a week. Compromise, baby!

:upside_down_face:

I’ll be fascinated to find out what the new information is :thinking: